cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to retrieve my bookmarks, tabs, history, etc, from the Mozilla server after a clean reinstall of my OS?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

How to retrieve my bookmarks, tabs, history, etc, from the Mozilla server after a clean reinstall of my OS?

Before I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8, I synced my firefox. I performed a clean install of Windows 8, meaning I wiped my C: drive. After the install of Windows 8, I was unable to retrieve my personal data from the Mozilla server. The browser is telling me to sync my stuff with another device but I saw, when syncing for the first time, the browser said something along the lines of "Backing up your data to Mozilla servers." How do I retrieve my data from those servers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: How to retrieve my bookmarks, tabs, history, etc, from the Mozilla server after a clean reinstall of my OS?

Yes it does. You can probably recovery your profile from there (keep in mind it is a hidden folder, so enable hidden files and folders) Recovering important data from an old profile

8 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: How to retrieve my bookmarks, tabs, history, etc, from the Mozilla server after a clean reinstall of my OS?

Do you have the recovery key you were given when you created your Sync account?

Please note that Sync is NOT a backup tool and should never be used as such. ALWAYS make a hard copy of your Firefox data before doing anything like a Windows reinstall.

New Contributor

I'm afraid I don't have a recovery key. I had years of bookmarks and stuff there, it would be extremely devastating to lose all that.

Site Moderator

In that case, no, it cannot be recovered. If you had a backup of your profile we could help you import that but you apparently do not. So unfortunately that information is gone.

Site Moderator

New Contributor

I do have my whole C:\Users\'myusername' folder backed up. Does that help with anything?

Site Moderator

Yes it does. You can probably recovery your profile from there (keep in mind it is a hidden folder, so enable hidden files and folders) Recovering important data from an old profile

New Contributor

Oh my god it worked!!! Thank you so much, this is very important to me!! Is there any way I can recover my last session from that profile folder as well?

Site Moderator

You would need to copy the sessionstore.js from that profile to the current Firefox Profile Folder to get that last session.