There are so many useless replies in other postings that didn't work that I decided to write the manual method for removal. Wading thru a confusing pile of posts is absurd. I hope this posts makes it easier for people trying to remove it.
First, the removal tool at AVG Secure Search doesn't work. It is bs. They even say it may take multiple reboots before it is removed. That is absurd.
Here is manual removal method.
0) Take note of the exact day and time AVG was installed. Write it down.
1) Stop ?ToolBarUpdate process
2) Delete AVG Secure Search directory in
Program Files (86x)
Program Files (86x)\Common
3) Do a find in regedit. Delete any major entry containing "AVG Secure Search".
4) Search your local drive for any remaining file created around time that AVG program was installed. Look at properties attributes for the file. See if it is created by AVG. Delete it if so.
There may be an avg@toolbar directory left also.
5) You may as well remove anything in Firefox as well. Check the directories again 24 hours later to make sure the AVG Secure Search doesn't exist or didn't reinstall
Re: How to remove AVG Secure Search the manual way
hi there, i was having same problem with the secure search from AVG in my browser and i found this uninstall page with step by step instructions. i know that it wouldn't remove it from your pc, but i'm no pc expert to play with registry, i just wanted to remove it from the browser and it worked for me.