I have tried many of the method suggested by user but AVG Secure Search is unaffected or goes away but keeps coming back.
I don't understand how it only seems to affect people running Firefox and why Firefox seems to rely completely on forums and suggestions by users as to how to fix it. Why is there not an official Firefox answer to this problem that seems to be a problem for a very large number of Firefox users?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Hi wdp1952 You can easily change the search preference. You can do this by clicking on search bar in your firefox and select you favorite search engine from the list.
Let me now if it works.
see the following articles from AVG:
Check and tell if its working.
I found this somewhere. It worked for me. about:config did not work for me.
Here is the very simple solution to remove AVG secure search from Firefox.
I first uninstalled the avg toolbar using Revo Uninstaller (free program from cnet download)
1. Go to Firefox "Help". 2. Click "Restart with Add-ons Disabled" 3. Click "Restart". 4. The browser will close and a pop-up box will open. 5. Select "Reset all user preferences to Firefox defaults".
All adds on remained enabled. 6. Click "Make Changes and Restart".
I've tried several of the posted fixes, some complicated, some not. The one that worked for me was the one posted by sunflower. it's simply, easy and in my case effective.
Here is what to do, and it has worked great for me:
FOR FIREFOX... IF YOU NEED TO KNOW HOW FOR OTHER BROWSERS, LET ME KNOW.
1. Click the small arrow next to the search provider icon and select Manage Search Engines…
2. Select the AVG Secure Search and Remove
3. Open the Firefox menu and select Options -> Options (or open the Tools menu and select the Options item).
4. Select the General tab and reset your home page.
5. Type about:config in the address bar and press Enter.
6. Press the I’ll be careful, I promise! Button.
7. Type search in the Search text box.
8. Right-click the browser.search.defaultenginename and select Reset from the context menu.
9. Type keyword in the Search text box.
10. Right-click the keyword.URL item and select Reset from the context menu.
11. Type browser.startup in the Search text box.
12. Right-click the browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone item and select Reset from the context menu.
13. Restart the Mozilla Firefox.
14. AVG Secure Search is now completely removed from the Mozilla Firefox browser.
The collection of ideas on this post were very, very helpful. I used a combination of KerryB's and Sunflowr's posts, to completely nuke that annoying SafeSearch thing! AVG should stick with security and stop being so intrusive.
Lemme add one other thing to the mix. The combo of this, along with the preceding two, should get rid of SafeSearch:
1. Go to [Tools] >> [Add-Ons] >> [Extensions] 2. Disable AVG Security Toolbar, as well as any other items related to AVG. 3. Restart Firefox from the link provided, just above the disabled item(s)
Test it out by opening a few tabs.
That should do it!