Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get rid of redirect virus?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

How to get rid of redirect virus?

I get random redirects when I open webpages, how do I get rid of these?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: How to get rid of redirect virus?

yes, you could also use that as a last resort if just removing this extension doesn't solve the issue.

it would also be nice if you can report back if the redirects stop after removing this fake flash extension - then i can arrange for it to be blocklisted, so that other affected users get protected too..

22 REPLIES
Site Moderator

hello, this sounds like a problem caused by malware on your pc. please go to firefox > addons > extensions & remove any suspicious entries (toolbars, things that you have not installed intentionally, don't know what purpose they serve, etc). also go to the windows control panel / programs and remove all toolbars or potentially unwanted software from there and run a full scan of your system with the security software that you have in place and different other tools like the free version of malwarebytes & adwcleaner.

Remove a toolbar that has taken over your Firefox search or home page Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware

New User

Hi, The only thing in my extension tab is...

• Flash Player
  • Download Usage
  • Ad-Block

Am currently uninstalling programs I don't know (not many of them)

Thanks

Site Moderator

hello, when flash player is listed under extensions this is already suspicious - normally it is an entry that is listed under plugins. (i've also never heart of "download usage"). could you go to firefox > help > troubleshooting information, copy the content of the page & paste them here into a reply on the forum? thanks...

New User

Hi, Thanks for your response, Should I get rid of the flash player extension then? The Download usage tells you how much of your monthly download quota you have used. Have been using it for several months before the problem occurred.

Thanks

Site Moderator

in the firefox > help > troubleshooting information page the extensions are listed with their ID & version number - that would be inteesting to know before i recommend deleting it, in any case you might also disable the entry (a restart of the browser might be necessary afterwards) & see if this has any effect on the redirect issue.

New User

Hi, Thank you so much for your fast responses! This is a copy and paste of my extensions....

Adblock Plus2.2.3 true {d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-8b2-2b9879e08c5d}

Flash Player11 true XN4Xgjw7n4@yUWgc.com

Net Usage Item1.2.342.1 true {DA1B0AB5-7DD3-4066-BC2A-64AABBDD0A8B}

Site Moderator

ok, this flash player addon is definitely malicious. maybe you also want to reset firefox in case it as done some other customizations...

Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings

New User

When I reset firefox, what does it reset, will it reset my favorites and password remember etc?

Thanks so much for the help!!!!

Site Moderator

your bookmarks & passwords will be kept but most of the other settings will be reverted to their factory default (this is also explained in more detail in the help article i've linked to).