cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix this problem? Secure Connection Failed, SSL received a record with an incorrect Message Authentication Code. (Error code: ssl_error_bad_mac_read)

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

How to fix this problem? Secure Connection Failed, SSL received a record with an incorrect Message Authentication Code. (Error code: ssl_error_bad_mac_read)

Secure Connection Failed SSL received a record with an incorrect Message Authentication Code. (Error code: ssl_error_bad_mac_read)

I have been receiving this error message recently when I tried to access school elearning websites and other school related websites, I have also tried on internet explorer and it shows page cannot be displayed. I have been trying the available solutions to solve it but none of them work. Is there alternative solutions available? Please advise. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: How to fix this problem? Secure Connection Failed, SSL received a record with an incorrect Message Authentication Code. (Error code: ssl_error_bad_mac_read)

That link works fine for me. I'm not seeing any error message.

What are the connection settings?

If you do not need to use a proxy to connect to internet then try to select "No Proxy" if "Use the system proxy settings" or one of the others do not work properly.

See "Firefox connection settings":

2014-01-05-15-45-22-28b450.png
6 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: How to fix this problem? Secure Connection Failed, SSL received a record with an incorrect Message Authentication Code. (Error code: ssl_error_bad_mac_read)

Can you post a link to a publicly accessible page that doesn't require authentication (signing on)?

Can you reach this page via a normal http connection in case the server isn't set up properly?

You may have to use "Forget About This Site" to make Firefox use a http connection.

You can try to test if there is a problem with TLS by temporarily disabling TLS.

You can set the security.tls.version.min and security.tls.version.max prefs to 0 to disable TLS (0 means SSL3).
You may need to close and restart Firefox after changing these prefs.

security.tls.version.min = 0
security.tls.version.max = 0

Note that this is only meant as a quick test and you should reset the two prefs afterward.

New Contributor

Thank you for your advice, I've tried temporarily disabling TLS and restart Firefox but it didn't work.

Sorry, but may I ask you what do you mean by:

"Can you post a link to a publicly accessible page that doesn't require authentication (signing on)?

Can you reach this page via a normal http connection in case the server isn't set up properly?"

Site Moderator

That is about the address (URL) of the website that you try to visit.

Then we can see if the problem occurs for us as well or only a problem on your side.

New Contributor

This is the link: https://learn.nyp.edu.sg/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp

I have also tried using another computer at home to access the link with Firefox but the same error message appeared.

Site Moderator

That link works fine for me. I'm not seeing any error message.

What are the connection settings?

If you do not need to use a proxy to connect to internet then try to select "No Proxy" if "Use the system proxy settings" or one of the others do not work properly.

See "Firefox connection settings":

2014-01-05-15-45-22-28b450.png
New Contributor

It works after I disabled IPv6 in Firefox. Thank you for your help Smiley Happy