cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix Shockwave Flash version 11.6 r602 Causing Firefox to Crash?

Highlighted
New User

How to fix Shockwave Flash version 11.6 r602 Causing Firefox to Crash?

I just loaded windows 8 onto my system and placed Firefox version 19. as my web browser and went to Youtube and updated flash to the Version it was looking for which in this case is 11.6 r602 and now everywhere that I go on the web the plug in pops up says it fails and locks up my firefox. I have done what the suggestions have said

1. Made sure system was up to date 2. Lowered hardware and flash acceleration 3. changed firefox settings 4. have done numerous re-installs of firefox and flash

I had to start using google chrome Please help I like fire fox better

20 REPLIES
N/A

Re: How to fix Shockwave Flash version 11.6 r602 Causing Firefox to Crash?

Hi cactusjeff,
have a look at this article:
Flash Plugin - Keep it up to date and troubleshoot problems
Notes on how to install flash plugin here:
Install the Flash plugin to view videos, animations and games
Hope that will help you. Please report back!

New User

Thank you very much but I already troubleshot everything in that article and it was failing before it was submitted. reducing the flash acceleration does not cause the flash plugin to not fail I have installed 10.3 but the plug in still hangs and fails (even though it does not have the same error it fails and causes firefox to hang) the current versions of firefox and the plug ins are up to date so I rolled each back 5 versions trying to get it all straight but still will not work. I have installed and reinstalled all components numerous times and it continues to hang. Smiley Sad

Site Moderator

hello, have you already tired updating all the other plugins? especially make sure that realplayer is updated to version 16 since prior versions might interfere with the flash plugin and are known to cause crashes. also your java plugin is vulnerable (though it has probably nothing to to with the issues you're seeing):

https://www.mozilla.org/plugincheck/

New User

This is a fresh install so there are very little plugins to check I did a fresh install and only used the flash plug in and as soon as 11.6.r602 is installed it kills the browser. I did go back and add stuff back after the fact and it still fails but all the tests tell me that for whatever reason the new firefox 19.0 and other older versions of firefox hate 11.6.r602 flash.

New User

After a week of Headaches and troubleshooting I have found the answer it Pains me to say that a build in feature of Adobe causing my problem and has apparently been causing the Problem for users since 11.3.300.257 and also IE causing the browsers to freeze or crash.Adobe did integrated Protected Mode for Firefox update and continues to use this causing the crash issue I am having . The Problem is that this should have been fixed and it has not in the many versions of adobe Smiley Sad

Fix:

Disabling Protected Mode until a fix comes out that is resolving the issue. The company highlights that it highly recommends to enable Protected Mode again once the troubleshooting is complete.

To disable Protected Mode you need to edit the mms.cfg file located in one of the two directories:

Windows 32bit: C:\windows\system32\macromed\flash
   Windows 64bit: C:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash

Just open the file with a text editor and add the following line to the mms.cfg file:

ProtectedMode = 0

If the file does not exist, create it first. You can alternatively download a version from the blog post linked above. To enable Protected Mode again simply delete the line that you have added to the config file.

New User

I was watching videos for an hour in least before I posted above and if the issue comes back I will throw it in here

New User

I was also experiencing the same bug. After disabling flash everything worked fine. I did my own searching and found that it is indeed a problem with protected mode. Another way to fix this is to downgrade to flash player 10 but it causes other problems. I hope the Mozilla team will look into this.

New User

I was also experiencing this issue. After uninstalling, reinstalling and following other forum suggestions, nothing worked. Then I updated all Firefox plugins (including RealPlayer and Java) and that solved the problem.

New User

I tried to circumvent as described, however I don't have authority to update the mms.cfg file. How can I get the authority?