cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to close a site without closing Firefox

Highlighted
New User

How to close a site without closing Firefox

When I have a site on Firefox open and when I close the site, it closes Firefox and I am offline.

If I manage to open several sites, when I attempt to close one site.... I am asked if I want to close all tabs, but I can't find any other choice but YES. If I say NO... I remain at the site I don't want. Iam unable to find out how to close one site and remain online with Firefox.

I can minimize a site but Firefox is not accessible, unless I open Firefox again. I shouldn't have to open Firefox a million times to search for things.

If I "Restore" it takes me back to the site I want to escape.

If I get a site to visit in my email, when I close the site to return to my email, Firefox closes and I am offline and have to start over again. It takes forever using Firefox with all the opening and closing. If I hit Restore....it takes me back to the site I wanted to leave and there are no back buttons, unable to minimize, etc. Everything just always ends. I may get a warning that I am going to close all, but no info on what else to do.

4 REPLIES
New User

Re: How to close a site without closing Firefox

So clicking [x] on a single tab closes firefox for you? or are you using multiple windows and closing one firefox window shuts all of them down?

New User

Yes to the above.

I can't close Firefox unless it all goes down. I can open Firefox again and have it open twice. Then will it may close both. However, when I read something and it says to click here to read a link or see a picture-- When I am finished reading I can't get back to my site or email. Firefox tells me that I will be closing two tabs and do I want to do that? If I say NO, then nothing happens and I remain where I don't want to be. If I say YES, then I am out of Firefox.

In an email, if I open a picture or a link, there is no back arrow with the picture or link and when I close----both my email account and Firefox is gone. I have to sign back in to read each and every email that has an attachment or link. For every attachment or picture I have to sign in and out of Firefox and my email account. It is exhausting.

Just exhausting is reading about something o line and there is a highlighted word or suggested link..... I can never get back to the site without signing into Firefox again. If I hit RESTORE previous session. It takes me back to the link I want out of to return to the original site.

To make it work. When there is a link ... I open a new Firefox and copy and paste into the new opened Firefox. Then if there is a link there.... repeat. Even then sometimes it will close all tabs and I am offline again. It is just too much hard work. It doesn't ask to cascade or layer tabs or give me a choice of what I want to close. It will let me open a ton of tabs as long as I keep opening. But once I want to leave a link... I am out.

When it asks me if I am sure I want to close all links (gives me the number of tabs it will be closing) it doesn't give me a choice of what I want to close. (Or I can't find it anywhere.) If I don't want to close all links... then I am not going anywhere... just stuck with a place I don't want to be. L

Site Moderator

It sounds like you are using the Window close X on title bar tight corner and not closing a tab itself ?. Close a individual tab itself should not give the option asking if you want to close all tabs.

To close a Tab either use the X on the tab itself or Middle-Click (scroll wheel) the tab or right click the tab and Close Tab.

New User

So tell me where that tab to click is on this page? Right click doesn't offer close, but it does offer Back.... I will try that.

Clicking the scroll button gives me arrows for up and down.