cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to actually fix HiDPI?

Highlighted
New User

How to actually fix HiDPI?

It's now Firefox 23 and the HiDPI mess is still going strong!

Does anyone know how to actually fix it and return Firefox to looking the way it did up to version 21 or is going back to 21 the only viable solution?

I did try the whole messing around with layout.css.devPixelsPerPx but it doesn't work - interface text gets too small and blurred, icons on the other hand are still big and blurred, and website content is HUGE. In addition to this Firefox feels slower.

22 REPLIES
Regular User

Re: How to actually fix HiDPI?

Back to 21 again for me.

Call me when you 24 is released and I'll give it another go. Or I'll switch to Chrome if it gets too far ahead in terms of security updates.

Grand Master

refer to

or make your DPI 100% in the windows settings.

New User

Why isn't there an option "Turn off hidpi-detection?" Is it so hard to make it work?

I want my Firefox (now 23) looks exactly the same it was in FF21. I want to turn dpi-detection off permanently now and for all.

Im not going to change my windows settings or adjust text, images, toolbar, add more addons to get options, pages, pop-ups or whatever look like a normal browser should look.

Please say it, if you are not going to fix this. I can always start to use another browser and stop waiting to get the fix which is not coming...

Regular User

"or make your DPI 100% in the windows settings. "

Perhaps you should inform Microsoft, tell them to correct their Operating System so that Firefox will work...

Grand Master

Can you test something for me, see if enabling this pref (you have to create it).

and see if it makes firefox "work"

Thanks in advance!

Regular User

I've been through the about:config nonsense and installing add-ons with Firefox 22. I have no intention of wasting my time with it again for Firefox 23. There should be no need to increase the complexity, and memory footprint of a browser to get it working as it did two iterations ago. Firefox 21 works just fine. Chrome works just fine.

I suggest that the developers simply add an option in FF24 to turn the HiDPI scaling off in the options menu for people who do not want it.

Grand Master

Good idea, write a bug about that becuase you will get no developer attention here, but you will get some there.

Regular User

I've already done that once when Firefox 22 was released. Should I do it again?

Grand Master

Link to the bug please? Dont write another bug on the same thing.