Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Roll Back last update

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

How to Roll Back last update

I wonder if anyone knows the way to roll back from an update in Firefox? I do not wish to remove and re-install if it's possible just to roll back. I am using Windows 7 Pro and the "about Firefox" says I have 19.0 installed. The update causing the problem went in on 19/03/2013. Hope someone can help. Regards. G

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: How to Roll Back last update

Just to sum up this thread, as it has spiraled out of control:

• Each new version of Firefox fixes critical security holes in the release before. These holes are publicly disclosed after each release, meaning it would be easier for them to be exploited in older versions. We want to updates users to newer versions for them to be as secure as possible.
  • We don't support older versions. Bugs that exist in older versions will only be fixed by updating to the newest release.
  • We occasionally change how Firefox stores data in it's database, and while updates will convert the data to the new format, downgrades won't, resulting in a loss of data.
30 REPLIES

Rolling back isn't supported, as that will leave you vulnerable to many known security threats. Instead, let's get your Firefox working Smiley Happy

First, update to Firefox 19. Update Firefox to the latest version

Then, update your plugins. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/

Then try to Reset Firefox. Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems

New User

Unfortunately I require to roll-back because Firefox did the update and then knocked out four of my most important plugins by disabling them as non-compatible. The update has in fact made my machine less secure so I would wish to roll back and regain the level of security I had before the update. If roll back is not supported then I will be forced to continue with MS Explorer and I was trying to avoid this.

New User

Thank you very much for the link. Unfortunately I had already been there having googled the problem with Firefox and seeing lots of other requests for a way to roll-back. That's why I came to the forum, just to find oput if there was a way to do it. Having gone to the archive I was not really sure what version to pick or even what version I had before Mozilla did the update! If there is no roll-back or way to find the previous version just prior to the update I guess it would have to be to go back to 18.0 and switch off updates for a few weeks and try again. (Or as my colleague just said - 'stay with explorer') I like Firefox, (or used to like Firefox I should say), and I think a roll-back would be very convenient for situations like this. Perhaps this is something that should be considered by the team for inclusion? Thanks for your help it is very much appreciated. G

New User

I also have this same problem. None of the plug-ins I had even appear anymore to be able to update them. If this is the way that Mozilla has decided to treat its users, then maybe it's time I switched to Chrome or Opera.

New User

I completely understand how you feel. It is so frustrating that an upgrade is pushed in automatically that wrecks your system configuration and you are unable to roll it back. I contacted Kaspersky and got this reply:-

' Dear customer,

There's no official release date for the Kaspersky patch that will allow our plugins to work in Firefox 19, however the patch is usually deployed within a couple of weeks after release. We usually recommend waiting a few weeks before upgrading to the latest version, otherwise the plugins will not work. Your general security is not compromised by leaving the plugins switched off.

You can download Firefox 18 from here if you wish to roll back:

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/ '

I did not bother to explain that I had no choice about the update, it was just pushed in and the first I knew abnout it was the message saying my system security was disabled! However, your point about switching made me think about this situation. I think I like the idea of Firefox because it probably is the true "enthusiasts" browser, and that is the rub. Chrome, Explorer, Opera etc have the big budgets to develop and test that Firefox does not have. My immediate attitude to this problem was to wonder what the clowns at Mozilla were playing at, but that is a bad attitude. The Mozilla organisation are enthusiasts with great skills who develop without financial backing, so it's unfair for me to use and accept their work for free and then complain because they make a cock-up. I do want to have the Kaspersky security working so I will be prompted by your reply JMG and I am going to try Chrome. I will let you know how I get on. Regards G

Edit: Fixed link as it was point to 18.0b7 which is a Beta7 build of 18.0 and not a Release. This would have also put you on the Beta channel and not Release channel.

New User

Couldn't delete

New User

Thanks, technoweary. I ended up finding an ond version installer in my downloads on another machine, and rolled back that way. By the way, I believe that the b7 on the link you provided means that is the beta version. You might want to use 18.0.2 folder instead.

Might I suggest the NoScript plug-in for added security. I use it religiously. That Mozilla just disabled ALL the plug-ins, without any warning, is what most bothers me. If it had prompted that the update would disable x plug-in, proceed? Y/N then it would be done at my own option. To just roll it out, and consequences be damned just makes me want to puke.

I now have updates completely turned off in Firefox on ALL my machines.

New User

Sadly, I wasn't able to update any of the plug-ins, because 19 conveniently removed them all from the add-ons list, not just marked them disabled. Some of them, like NoScript, are for security. Others, like OldLocationBar and Status4Evar, restore functionality and interface options that someone decided to change (for the sake of change). But after removing and reinstalling (on the other machine), it too now has updates turned off. SIXTEEN complete version updates in under a year is ridiculous! (3.6.28 released 3/6/12, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, & 19) And version change number 18 (v.20) is in beta!