Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often should I clear the cache?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

How often should I clear the cache?

I was having problems with various websites and based on advice to other users did a full cache clear. I noticed an immediate improvement in the speed of the pages loading. Did this help and if so how often should I clean the cache out? It was at 420MB.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shooting Star

Re: How often should I clear the cache?

I don't see how that can possibly be related to the cache. The cache contains files from websites, like images, stylesheets and scripts. So when you visit a page you've visited before, you don't need to download the whole thing again. The cache therefore allows pages to load faster, not slower.

The cache has a fixed size, so files are deleted automatically as new ones are cached. There's no need to clear it manually, unless you've having some sort of issue like websites looking wrong.

1 REPLY
Shooting Star

Re: How often should I clear the cache?

I don't see how that can possibly be related to the cache. The cache contains files from websites, like images, stylesheets and scripts. So when you visit a page you've visited before, you don't need to download the whole thing again. The cache therefore allows pages to load faster, not slower.

The cache has a fixed size, so files are deleted automatically as new ones are cached. There's no need to clear it manually, unless you've having some sort of issue like websites looking wrong.