Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i set search to open in new tab?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

How do i set search to open in new tab?

When I do a "google search" I want it to open in a new tab...how do I set that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
All Star

Re: How do i set search to open in new tab?

Look in the about:config window for these settings and change them:

• browser.search.openintab - if true, will open a search from the searchbar in a new tab if you use the return key to trigger the search
  • browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground - if true, bookmarks that open in a new tab will not steal focus
  • browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground - Load the new tab in the background, leaving focus on the current tab if true
  • browser.tabs.loadInBackground - Do not focus new tabs opened from links (load in background) if true
  • browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick - if true, links can be forced to open a new tab if middle-clicked. Useful for search results.
31 REPLIES
Expert User

are doing this on the links:

right click -> Open Link in New Tab
New User

There is no "links" when you do a search in google! and yes i have tried doing a "right click" but it does not work in google search. when i used IE i could set preferences for google search but i cannot seem to find where to do that in firefox thanks,

New User

It doesn't work on Google, which is kind of essential. Google will still only open links in the same window.

Site Moderator

Which search do you mean?

• searching via the location bar (pref: keyword.URL)
  • search bar on the Navigation Toolbar
  • search bar on the about:home page (pref: browser.search.defaultenginename)
  • other search bar (e.g. added by extension)

For the search bar on the Navigation Toolbar you can set the Boolean pref browser.search.openintab to true on the about:config page.

You can also middle-click the search button or menu entry or use Alt+Enter to open the results in a new tab.

For the Google website you can set that via the Google Search Settings page.

New User

I would like to set the preferences so that google search or any other link or bookmark always open in a new tab. I know I can right click and choose open in a new tab. It's an "extra" step that I would like to avoid. But I can see no options in preferences which allow this. This was true when I was using Windows XP and it is true now using Mac OSX 10.7.5. I have all of the options under "preferences - tabs" checked.

All Star

Look in the about:config window for these settings and change them:

• browser.search.openintab - if true, will open a search from the searchbar in a new tab if you use the return key to trigger the search
  • browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground - if true, bookmarks that open in a new tab will not steal focus
  • browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground - Load the new tab in the background, leaving focus on the current tab if true
  • browser.tabs.loadInBackground - Do not focus new tabs opened from links (load in background) if true
  • browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick - if true, links can be forced to open a new tab if middle-clicked. Useful for search results.
New User

This really didn't solve the question but whatever; i found i can just click on the tab with "+" (to open a new tab) and then do the google search

New User

I have not yet implemented your solution, but will do so in the near future. It does involve getting into the bowels of Firefox -- so I want to be careful. I also found out that "Command + Click" opens a new tab, which is much more convenient than "Right click ; click on Open in a New Tab."

But a further question: what is then the purpose of "Open new windows in a new tab instead" in the Tabs page of Firefox Preferences? I am curious and i also like to know the purpose of preference settings in the various applications I use.