cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop other search engines from continually hijacking the firefox browser?

Highlighted
New User

How do I stop other search engines from continually hijacking the firefox browser?

I'm fed up with this happening and not being able to get back to firefox without significant drama. Is there some way I can set up a permanent barrier, and it it malware that's causing the problem?

2 REPLIES
Regular User

Re: How do I stop other search engines from continually hijacking the firefox browser?

Permanently? Hardly. However, you could store some settings (like search engine, default start page) in user.js file (in your Firefox data folder). Sadly, some malwares use the same trick to hijack search engines as well. If you think the hijack is due to malware, run Spybot and adwcleaner.

New User

Re: How do I stop other search engines from continually hijacking the firefox browser?

no- it didn't work! adwcleaner was a disaster- ( & did you know that it's a paysite?) I've continually run spybot and malwarebytes but unfortunately- and it's driving me spare!- the problem remains!