cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get rid of browser virus called Iminent, which installs as add-on, when remove button is disabled?

Highlighted
New User

How do I get rid of browser virus called Iminent, which installs as add-on, when remove button is disabled?

I have firefox 20.0.1

This iminent thing must have ridden in on some download but it is all over the browser trying to put up spammy stuff in facebook, gmail, pinterest. I t may be partially blocked by some other add-ons like adblock-plu or better privacy, but it is there creating spurious toolbars on all my social sites and with little popout side windows.

I ran Malwarebytes and it found nothing.

I tried to follow these instructions from http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-the-search-iminent-search-the-web-hijacker-virus/#Firefox to remove it: Step 1: Open Firefox, and navigate to Tools -> Add-ons (Ctrl+Shift+A). Step 2: Select Extensions and find the particular Search Iminent Search The Web Toolbar extension, and click disable and remove.

BUT the "remove" button was absent.

I tried to follow these instructions to remove Iminent cookie: How to block the Iminent.com cookie 1.From the Tools menu, select Options 2.In the upper section of the Options window, click Privacy 3.In the Cookies tab, click Exceptions 4. In the new Exceptions – Cookies window, enter Iminent.com in the Address of Website field and click Disable.

BUT there was no "cookie tab."

19 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: How do I get rid of browser virus called Iminent, which installs as add-on, when remove button is disabled?

hello anartist, have a look into the windows control panel / programs section if there's any entry related to the adware that you can remove.

for more possible solutions please also refer to Cannot remove an add-on (extension or theme)

Site Moderator

Re: How do I get rid of browser virus called Iminent, which installs as add-on, when remove button is disabled?

New User

Phillipp, am trying it now. Hope it does not resist uninstallation by installing some crap as it exits. It didn't go willingly and opened up the website on the browser. Now to reboot . . .

2013-04-29-15-21-50-13da0b.png
Site Moderator

Just as an FYI, we are working on blocking Iminent from Firefox for other users in the future, so hopefully this won't happen again.

New User

Thank you, for all of us users!

New User

I tried removing it, through Control Panel, and it is still there.

You may have to try physical going in and Killing it... I run off of Vista by the way. ^_^

Also it seems to have a habit of wanting to be on all your browsers you use most often such as Chrome, and Opera too.

I think it would be a great help if you got all the companies together and made a Fix for all Browsers, not just yours, because it seems it could jump back to Mozilla if you only fix yours...

- Changing the World One Idea at a Time - Ravonies.

New User

I just tried a Direct Delete after uninstalling I will tell you if it works.

New User

Ok A Direct Delete Works.... - Direct Delete.... AKA, Manual Uninstall and/or Finding any remains and Deleting them...

So Basically.... and I hope this works for other Computers with other OS's besides Vista....

1. Use Control Panel to Uninstall it - Then clear the icon from there. 2. Search for it in your programs - IE... open start, Type "Iminent" (So far works for Vista) - Delete It... 3. Do it again to find any thing you missed. - Sometimes a Shortcut or straggler will be left... KILL IT. 4. Clean out the Cache of all other other browsers with the cookie... - Seeing if this last step will work right now. 5. Recycle Bin Empty. And now your computer should be free of Iminent...

This should work for your Browser.... Disable THEN uninstall it from Add-Ons

HEY MOZILLA PEOPLE! Can you Confirm this Solution?

New User

I finally went to the Iminent website and sent these jerks an email through their contact us page. They sent me an uninstall tool to uninstall all Iminent software.

I think this Iminent was attached to some update I made and didn't notice it. When I find out, I will be getting rid of that entire program too.