cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get "always ask me where to save files" to work?

Highlighted
New User

How do I get "always ask me where to save files" to work?

I have gone to tools - options and checked "always ask me where to save files", but when I start the download only one choice is listed, the last place I downloaded to. There is no list of drives or folders. This did not change until a few days ago. Now I don't know how to restore it to it's previous form.

5 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: How do I get "always ask me where to save files" to work?

I see the Download Manager Tweak extension, so you can check for issues caused by one of your extensions..

Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem.

• Switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance
  • Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe Mode start window
New User

I opened in safe mode and tried to download a file. The same thing happened. The download window opens and the only choice is the previous folder that was downloaded to it. I don't think I changed anything in the past few days. This was working normally until two or three days ago. Here is the dialog box that opens.

New User

I opened in safe mode and tried to download a file. The same thing happened. The download window opens and the only choice is the previous folder that was downloaded to it. I don't think I changed anything in the past few days. This was working normally until two or three days ago. Here is the dialog box that opens.

2014-08-13-11-31-28-79300c.png
Site Moderator

Did you try to click the hide folders button that shows in the screenshot one or more times or one of the other buttons to see if that helps?

You can try to rename (or delete) the mimeTypes.rdf file in the Firefox profile folder to reset all file actions.

New User

Yes, I tried clicking on the hide folders button but nothing happens. However, I noticed on the very left of the address it has Computer with a down arrow. From there choices can be made to get to where I want to go. Not as convenient as the original way, but it works. Another way, for those who remember DOS (am I giving my age away), is to type in the drive letter, say D with a colon : and a backslash \. - D:\ and that will bring up the drive and the choices there. Not very good good, but it works.