cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get firefox to open a pdf in adobe instead of the new pdf reader?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

How do I get firefox to open a pdf in adobe instead of the new pdf reader?

Before the recent update, 19.0, I would google something and see [PDF] next to a link. I click the middle mouse button to open it in a new tab. Firefox would download the file and open it with Adobe Reader. I like this.

With the new update 19.0, the pdf file would be opened in the new tab. I have to go and down load it and then open it in Adobe. I don't like this.

I go into preferences under applications. I look to see if I can change this. Next to Adobe Reader document, I choose Use Adobe Reader, but when I click on a [PDF] link, it still opens the file in Firefox and not Adobe.

I want it back to the way it was.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New User

Re: How do I get firefox to open a pdf in adobe instead of the new pdf reader?

Problem: Open a pdf in Firefox, it wants to save the file. Remedy: In Firefox, Tools, Options, choose Applications tab. Left (Content Type) column, choose Portable Document Format (pdf). Right column (Action) choose Preview in Firefox. I am using Firefox 21.0. Wednesday, May 29, 2013, Tom Budlong

18 REPLIES
Site Moderator

You can set the pdfjs.disabled pref to true on the about:config page to disable the build-in PDF viewer and use the Adobe Reader instead.

See also:

New User

I changed the setting to true, but now it asks me to save the PDF rather than open it in Adobe Reader within FF.

Site Moderator

Check the settings for PDF files.

• Firefox > Preferences > Applications > Adobe PDF document : Use Adobe Reader
New User

I see the same behavior -- I changed the pdfjs.disabled setting to true and now Firefox asks me to save (most) PDF files without giving me the option to open them directly with Acrobat Reader. I followed the link given above and verified that Adobe Acrobat PDF document is set to "Always ask". I don't understand why Firefox doesn't give me the option to open the files in Acrobat Reader. Nor do I understand why this is true for most, but not all pdf files (such as http://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/am26c31; I can't find an example of one that works outside our internal web site, which might be a clue that our internal web site is not configured properly).

I hate it when arbitrary changes to software breaks my workflow. http://xkcd.com/1172/

Site Moderator

Do you have the Adobe Reader plugin installed and enabled?

• Tools > Add-ons > Plugins
New User

I don't have the plugin enabled. Traditionally, that was the only way I could figure out how to tell Firefox that I wanted to read PDF documents with the standalone reader instead of in a separate window/tab within Firefox.

The plugin I have is "Adobe Acrobat NPAPI Plug-in, Version 10.1.6". Is that the latest/best plugin to use? All I want is for Firefox to ask me "Save, or open with Reader" when I download PDFs. I don't want to view them within Firefox.

Site Moderator

You can set the pdfjs.disabled pref to true on the about:config page to disable the build-in PDF viewer.

You can change the action for Portable Document Format (PDF) from Preview in Firefox to Always Ask in "Firefox > Options > Applications".

See also:

New User

Hi cor-el, Thank you for your reply.

I have pdfjs.disabled pref set to true.

I have set the following Content Types to "Always ask":

• Adobe Acrobat FDF document
  • Adobe Acrobat XML Data Package File
  • Adobe Form Client Data File
  • Portable Document Format (pdf/adobe)
  • Portable Document Format (doesn/matter)
  • Portable Document Format (binary/octet-stream)
  • Portable Document Format (application/x-pdf)
  • Portable Document Format (application/x-octet-stream)
  • Portable Document Format (application/x-download)
  • Portable Document Format (application/force-download)
  • Portable Document Format ("application/pdf")

And I just noticed now that Portable Document Format (application/pdf) is set to "Adobe Reader"

With the release of 19.0, Firefox started displaying PDF documents within Firefox itself, which I don't want. I found a page that directed me to set pdfjs.disabled to true, which I have done, and now Firefox only offers me the option of saving PDF documents -- it no longer offers me the option of displaying them with Adobe Reader.

I would like to know how to make Firefox go back to the old behavior of asking me whether I wanted to save the document, or open it with Adobe Reader. So far, I can't figure out how to do that.

Thanks again for the tips. Please keep them coming.

Site Moderator

Do you have an enabled Adobe Reader plugin on the Tools > Add-ons > Plugins page?

Yo you set the action for Portable Document Format to Adobe Reader (in Firefox)?

Maybe best to remove these actions and only leave application/x-pdf

1. Portable Document Format (doesn/matter)
  2. Portable Document Format (binary/octet-stream)
  3. Portable Document Format (application/x-octet-stream)
  4. Portable Document Format (application/x-download)
  5. Portable Document Format (application/force-download)