cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get 128-bit encryption in Firefox 4.0 for a financial website?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

How do I get 128-bit encryption in Firefox 4.0 for a financial website?

I need 128-bit encryption capability on my web browser in order to use a specific financial website for bill paying, The site's encryption test shows that Firefox 4.0 (newly installed) does not provide that level of security. Help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Forum Moderator

Re: How do I get 128-bit encryption in Firefox 4.0 for a financial website?

Firefox will match the level of encryption the website uses, and Firefox is capable of higher encryption than 128-bit (256-bit if that is what the website uses).

18 REPLIES
Support Forum Moderator

Firefox will match the level of encryption the website uses, and Firefox is capable of higher encryption than 128-bit (256-bit if that is what the website uses).

New Contributor

@the-edmeister. Does this "match" occur synchronously with input to the website or is some other means needed? Thank you.

Site Moderator

It depends on which order the server offers. If the server offers 128 bit with a higher priority that 256 bit then Firefox will only select 256 bit if you would disable the 128 bit ciphers.

See also https://www.fortify.net/cgi/ssl_2.pl

New Contributor

@cor-el. Sorry, but I'm a novice using technology so your reply has confused me totally. Can you possibly simplify your answer for me? Thanks.

New Contributor

Firefox 4 for MAC does not work with the US government's security screening site: www.opm.gov/e-qip. Is there something I need to do on my end to let the e-qip site know that 128-bit high encryption is supported??

I get the following warning when e-qip tests my browser. Then I get kicked out.

Warning - We did not detect that your web browser supports 128-bit high encryption. If you have trouble connecting after you click the "Continue" button below, you will need to upgrade your web browser to a version that supports 128-bit encryption.

Thank you

Site Moderator

Did you try to click the Continue button to see if that works?

Works for me with an AES-256 bit connection.

Site Moderator

I think the www.opm.gov site may be looking for the U that was in the Firefox 3.6 and earlier useragents as it was one of the things removed in Firefox 4.0 and newer useagents. The site says it recognizes the browser but does not detect that your web browser supports 128-bit high encryption which contradicts.

The "U" stands for "USA" (for the version with 128-bit encryption) (since 1996).

Site Moderator

Looks like you are right on that James!
Indeed adding "U;" to the user agent makes the red cross and the warning disappear.

That is however not the proper way to test for the presence of a feature.

New Contributor

I get the following error message at the Texas Dept. of Licensing site : Browser 128-Bit SSL Verification Page

Browser Problem! Your Firefox 4.0.1 web browser has 0-Bit Encryption enabled.

This application requires a 128-Bit Encryption web browser, and so it cannot be used by your current browser.

You will need to download a recent version of Microsoft Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator with 128-Bit Encryption Strength in order to use the secure online payment system.