cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I disable the plugin check at Firefox startup?

Highlighted
New Contributor

How do I disable the plugin check at Firefox startup?

Starting in the last day or two, every time I start Firefox, in addition to my homepage, I get a nuisance tab that is checking my plugins. I need to disable this stupid function or I will have to discontinue using Mozilla Firefox after 20 years as a faithful Mozilla user. I am happy with, and have no intentions of upgrading, my version of Firefox (3.6.17). I also have no intentions of upgrading my Flash plugin as newer versions are incompatible with an online activity in which I engage.

I have followed instructions in the user forum for changing the status of plugins.update.notifyUser from true to false in "about:config", but it apparently resets itself to true. None of the user forum suggestions correct this problem. If this unwanted, stupid tab cannot be disabled, I guess I will have to abandon Mozilla, both for Firefox and Thunderbird, and pursue options that do not force unwanted content on the user.

In addition, it seems impossible to actually speak to anyone at Mozilla about the problem. So hopefully someone will answer this question with a solution to the problem.

17 REPLIES
New Contributor

Re: How do I disable the plugin check at Firefox startup?

I've spent almost the last 3 hours trying to solve this (I'm using version 3.6.28). Changing the about:config setting didn't stick, starting in safe mode didn't help, etc.

Finally I did the following: 1) Used MozBackup to save all my settings, bookmarks, history, etc. 2) Uninstalled Firefox 3) Deleted the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox folder (although I saved the searchplugins folder first) 4) Reinstalled Firefox version 3.6.28 5) Used MozBackup to restore things 6) Verified everything was restored (I had to reinstall 3 extensions, and re-disable the plugins that I keep off, and copy those searchplugins into the new folder, but MozBackup pretty well got everything back the way it was)

Now I am no longer getting the plugin check. It seemed that something was just goofed up with Firefox itself, so maybe a reinstall would get rid of whatever problem had come up, and yeah, it looks like that worked.

New Contributor

I'm using 3.6.24, and I got that same Plugin Check tab (after using it for a looooong time) after I decided to re-enable ConvertHelper for DownloadHelper.

It let me know that it had disabled my outdated Java. It also complained that my Shockwave Flash was "vulnerable", VLC Multimedia Plugin was "unknown", and Adobe Acrobat was "outdated".

Like many, I can't update the plugins, because I'm already using the latest versions supported by my system.

I don't know what hidden settings got changed, and I tried all the usual suggestions here and on the InterWeb, until I finally got to:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin_scanning

As suggested there, I went into about:config and changed: plugin.scan.plid.all from "true" to "false"

Closed and restarted; it still complained about Java and Acrobat.

Went into about:config again, changed: plugin.scan.Acrobat from "5.0" to "9"

Closed and restarted.... ONLY MY HOME PAGE! YAAAAY!!!!!

Site Moderator

Note that you have both the Classic and Next Generation Java plugin (you only need the latter and not the Classic plugin).

1. Classic Java Plug-in 10.7.2 for Netscape and Mozilla
  2. Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.7.2 for Mozilla browsers
New Contributor

I have had this problem too. I tried both methods posted by other users and was unsuccessful. It is so annoying that I will no longer be using Firefox. Goodbye.

Site Moderator

You can get a plugin check on startup if you have plugins that are blocklisted by Mozilla,either because of security vulnerabilities or by causing excessive crashes and thus are disabled.

New Contributor

I've got rid of this problem by going into ... about:config ... and setting the following to false (note: this is a DIFFERENT setting to that mentioned above): extensions.blocklist.enabled

It's probably not a great idea in terms of security, but it works.

New Contributor

Further to the above, depending on which plugin(s) is/are causing the problem, you may need either or both the settings in about:config set to false. That is: extensions.blocklist.enabled & plugin.scan.plid.all

New Contributor

delete/get rid of this file---> nppdf32.dll in c/program files/mozilla firefox/plugins ..

restart and the second tab is gone

hope this helps i have Win 7

New Contributor

I did as you said and removed <nppdf32.dll>

It worked,... Thank you