cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I disable the new feature that disables outdated plugins unless they are clicked?

Highlighted
New Contributor

How do I disable the new feature that disables outdated plugins unless they are clicked?

I'm running Adobe Acrobat 8. I'm happy with it. Firefox has a new feature that automatically disables the PDF plugin unless it's clicked. It's called the "Click to Play" feature. Even when disabled, it's not really disabled: it activates itself for "vulnerable plugins." Though there is an option to make a website trusted for plugins, there is seemingly no way to make the PLUGIN ITSELF trusted. As a result, every time I get a PDF, I have to Click to Play.

Question: How do I truly disable this stupid new feature?

There is the following support article that explains this new system, and that the only solution is trust a website, but apparently can't disable the feature or trust the plugin:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/why-do-i-have-click-activate-plugins?esab=a&s=disable+click+to+p...

33 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: How do I disable the new feature that disables outdated plugins unless they are clicked?

The best solution is to update Adobe Reader to version 11. Adobe 8 is VERY out of date, and vulnerable t lots of critical security holes (Infected PDF's are one of the most common ways a virus get's spread on the web). If you update, then you won't have to see that message again. I know it will take a few minutes of work now, but that's better than days or work and money when (not if, when) you get infected because of an older PDF reader.

Site Moderator

Re: How do I disable the new feature that disables outdated plugins unless they are clicked?

(note that this is not about the Adobe Reader, but the Adobe Acrobat 8 program)

New Contributor

So, if I want to keep using my Acrobat 8 Pro without this reminder every single time I open a PDF, I have to either return to a version of Firefox from a month ago that didn't have this feature, or switch to Chrome? There's really no way to disable this new Firefox feature? This mandatory Click to Play thing is something I'd expect from IE, not Firefox. It reminds me of the Mac vs PC commercial (and I love PCs) where Vista's bodyguard, mimicking User Access Control, says: "You are coming to a sad realization: cancel or allow." Only, in this case, it can't even be turned off. It's the Firefox goon. I'll give it a couple of weeks; I'm sure the Mozilla team will come through and allow this thing to be disabled.

Site Moderator

Can't you enable that plugin permanently on the Tools > Add-ons > Plugins page?

Support Forum Moderator

Click to Play has nothing to do with Firefox disabling plugins due to the plugin being out of date. As corel mentioned, enable the plugin in Addons > Plugins and it will stay enabled.

Site Moderator

Site Moderator

New Contributor

The question was still not answered. How can the click-to-play "feature" be 100% disabled? No more lectures about security risks are needed as everyone here understands that this is inadvisable. The original poster, myself, and every other person asking this question that has been ignored so far just want an answer, free of the high and mighty "omg security risk!" attitude.

Site Moderator

disable the outdated adobe pro pdf plugin in firefox > addons > plugins & install the current adobe reader in order to view pdfs embedded in the browser safely & without click-to-play interfering or use the pdf viewer addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/pdfjs