I never use automatic updates on any software I use. Somehow, my add-on list made a connection with mozilla without my knowledge, and disabled my java causing me HUGE problems. How did this happen? How do I sever the connection between my copy of firefox and mozilla? Thanks to this feature, I now have an info bar at the top of every new tab I open. I HAVEN'T UPDATED BECAUSE I CAN'T. My browser that I've used for YEARS no longer works properly. And now I can't install another one OR upgrade.
hello, you're using a very outdated version of firefox, which is affected by around 100 known security vulnerabilities, so the integrity of your system and your personal data is at great risk or may have already been broken... please update to firefox 12 as soon as possible!
in case you are having any problems with upgrading or questions about new version, then please post them here - we will try to help you solving them...
Thank you so much for your reply. I am aware that my version of firefox is extremely outdated. In the past, whenever I updated to the latest version, I inadvertently and involuntarily became a beta tester.
I use a variety of security software applications that have, so far, prevented any security problems. My computer is old, and I cannot afford a new one at this time. I also cannot afford to have my computer down since I use it to work. Because of this, and various other reasons, I CANNOT update at this time. It would likely destroy my hard drive, causing me to reformat it again.
I found the answer on another website, and I was able to disable this feature.
hello, thank you for your understanding & sorry that i didn't provide a straightforward answer to your question from the beginning. i just wanted to make sure that you're understanding the risk that you're taking with your current setup - but i respect your reasoning and constraints.
for the record, if other users research the issue - you can disable the blocklist feature (that is primarily in place to disable malicous addons) by entering "about:config" into the address bar, searching for the setting named "extensions.blocklist.enabled" and toggling it to "false" by doubleclicking it.