Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I completely disable tabs?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

How do I completely disable tabs?

I do not use tabs and it's intrusive when they pop up all the time even though I have tried to disable them. I used to use the Tab Killer add-on ages ago but it's no longer current.

I don't use Firefox because of all the browsers, it's the only one where tabs just won't go away by fiddling with the settings, and I would desperately like to use an alternative browser that isn't attached to the less-than-honorable entity known as Google.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Legendary Contributor

Re: How do I completely disable tabs?

I updated the maxVersion to 17.9 and installed it. But in my opinion, it some important parts of Firefox unusable. For example, I can't start FireFTP to upload files. But if you like it, hopefully it will work for you.

http://jeffersonscher.com/res/github_tabkiller-2.0.2009110201-versbump.xpi (download, then drag onto an open window to install)

11 REPLIES
Legendary Contributor

Usually Firefox opens a new tab when a link is directed to a new window. To turn that off, you can uncheck the box under

Firefox > Preferences > Tabs > "Open new windows in a new tab instead"

Have you noticed new tabs appearing in other circumstances?

New Contributor

Anything to do with the browser itself, opens a new tab. Such as the add-ons manager opens a new tab every time. Downloading an update always seems to have it return to the previous window when it restarts... then opens a blank tab.

It also happens occasionally when on the web too, it's almost as if Firefox forgets its not supposed to but does it anyway. I can't tell you when exactly because it's infrequent and I tend to avoid Firefox because of the "tab thing."

All I know is when I use Firefox, when I am done browsing I usually have 3, 4 tabs open.

I would also like to be able to open links into new windows, not new tabs. In the Mac if you hit command when clicking it opens a new tab. In Safari it opens a new window. In Firefox I have to do the right-click, scroll, select "open in new window." Maybe that's asking too much but I don't see why after I have disabled ALL the tab functions that particular function never changes.

Safari you set "open pages in tabs instead of windows" to "Never" in settings/preferences and that's it, you will never see another tab... ever.

Legendary Contributor

That's a good point about the Add-ons page and other browser-generated pages. I don't know whether those can be forced to a new window. Perhaps one of the tab-related extensions can do it?

Regarding opening links in a new window, try Shift+click instead of using the right-click menu method. I believe that should work on all platforms (I personally am only familiar with Windows).

New Contributor

Regrettably no there's nothing that disables tabs out there except for the defunct Tab Killer that turned all new tabs into windows. All other add-ons instead enable tabs or add features to tabs, etc.

I use a Mac and the browser doesn't stupidly use the entire screen like in Windows, so I never saw the point, and their imposing themselves on me like in Firefox just makes me annoyed.

I have zero tolerance for apps that behave in a way that annoys me... but I would prefer to use Firefox if I could get around the tabs problem.

Legendary Contributor

hello ikaruseijin, see if it helps to make Tab killer enable again https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-killer/reviews/341416/

see also later versions of tab killer (later than 1.1.2007042501) : http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/_tabkiller.html.en#focused-folding-item

thank you

Legendary Contributor

The author of Tab Killer has posted an updated version on github, but for some reason hasn't submitted it to the Mozilla Add-ons site. Not sure whether you want to experiment with extensions offered through unofficial channels, but here is the page with the link: http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/_tabkiller.html.en (I haven't tried it myself).

New Contributor

Yes he has, in 2009.

It hasn't been compatible with Firefox versions made since then.

New Contributor

I am sorry ideato The methods described by the link you posted don't work on Mac. It throws an error. I tried that trick already... back in 2009

If someone with a Windows computer and is willing to edit the file appropriately, I would be willing to try it. Text edit corrupts the format, so does other popular code editing programs on Mac OS, like Text Wrangler.

I have tried it all, repeatedly. It simply cannot be done.

Legendary Contributor

I updated the maxVersion to 17.9 and installed it. But in my opinion, it some important parts of Firefox unusable. For example, I can't start FireFTP to upload files. But if you like it, hopefully it will work for you.

http://jeffersonscher.com/res/github_tabkiller-2.0.2009110201-versbump.xpi (download, then drag onto an open window to install)