cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change the new tabs page from google to the thumbnail one?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

How do I change the new tabs page from google to the thumbnail one?

I just downloaded some stuff and when I got back onto Firefox it made the home page and new tab page Google. I changed the home page back but I'm unsure of how to make the new tab page the way it is with the thumbnails. None of the articles I've read helped.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SUMO Contributor

Re: How do I change the new tabs page from google to the thumbnail one?

Hello, in about:config, change the browser.newtab.url to about:newtab.

New Tab Page – show, hide and customize top sites

thank you

4 REPLIES
SUMO Contributor

Hello, in about:config, change the browser.newtab.url to about:newtab.

New Tab Page – show, hide and customize top sites

thank you

New User

I have a similar problem with Yahoo! My home page was set to my Yahoo! Mail page, and every time I opened a new tab I got my home page. I've checked about:config and browser.newtab.url is correctly set to about:newtab. I ran Search Reset as suggested in another reply, all this has done is set my home page to the Yahoo! home page, and I get the same page when I open a new tab.

Site Moderator

Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).

• Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe Mode start window.

If you do not keep changes after a restart or otherwise have problems with preferences, see:

New User

Thanks for that - it turned out that the culprit was an extension called My Homepage which opens the home page every time you open a new tab. I can't imagine why anyone would want to do this, and I've no idea how it got onto my laptop. Anyway I've now removed it and all works as expected.