cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I stop Firefox from blocking a Java applet from a site that I trust?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

How can I stop Firefox from blocking a Java applet from a site that I trust?

I'm trying to run an application that displays competitors' routes at an orienteering event. My problem is that Firefox blocks the Java applet. I get a window saying "Application Blocked by Security Settings. Your security settings have blocked an application from running with an insecure or expired jre."

I've tried looking at the Firefox help on "How to enable Java if it's been blocked", but that's no help. It talks about clicking on the red plug-in icon in the address bar, but there isn't a red plug-in icon in the address bar.

The application is from www.epoc.routegadget.co.uk. It worked when I used it last Sunday.

Help, please!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: How can I stop Firefox from blocking a Java applet from a site that I trust?

hello, this warning isn't coming from firefox but from the java plugin itself - please update your plugins.

some more information about java's security settings are also available at oracle's support: https://www.java.com/en/download/help/jcp_security.xml

25 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: How can I stop Firefox from blocking a Java applet from a site that I trust?

hello, this warning isn't coming from firefox but from the java plugin itself - please update your plugins.

some more information about java's security settings are also available at oracle's support: https://www.java.com/en/download/help/jcp_security.xml

New Contributor

Thanks, Phillip.

I hadn't spotted that it was a Java message rather than a Firefox one. (And I'm still not sure how to tell.)

I've updated the Java plug-in (and, while I was at it, some other plug-ins) and I can once more check my competitors' routes at orienteering events.

Thanks again.

Alastair

New Contributor

I have tried updating java but it won't because it is still blocked. What do you suggest I try next

Site Moderator

hello rcovey, could you provide a little bit more information about the issue - which version of the java plugin do you have listed under firefox > addons > plugins, on which page do you get the error message & what's the exact wording...

New Contributor

I have this same problem but with facebook. So I removed the old java, downloaded and installed the latest java (25 I think) version, shut down and restarted my laptop, and it is still happening. Here is the error message I'm getting: [Java script Application] evalinsandbox:ErrorSmiley Tongueermission denied for <https://facebook.com> to create wrapper for object of class Unnamed class

Site Moderator

hello back40, your problem is of different nature (java is not the same as javascript). please update your socialfixer extension: http://socialfixer.com/blog/category/releasenotes/

New Contributor

I am trying to get Java to work on my Firefox browser. I have followed all the suggestions on the Java website and also all that I can find on the Mozilla support. Can anyone please help me as this is important to my work. When I do a check on the java website it says I need a plugin; but when I try to check which plugin, there is no plug in that is available. I have checked my plug in manager and all my plugins are up to date.

Please help. (I have downloaded the latest java - java SE7 update 25) Nigeld

Site Moderator

Note that you need the 32 bit Java version if you have a 64 bit Windows version because Firefox is a 32 bit application.

See also:

New Contributor

Thank you Cor-el, I am not sure if I have firefox 32 bit or 64 bit version. K did the test you referred to and it does not say anything about what version of firefox I have. I am running firefox on my IMac version 10.8 (Mountian lion) adn have downloaded the latest Java 7 update 25. I am unable to find the Java for a 32 bit firefox browser Can you please guide me?

Thanks, Nigel d