cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide go arrow in navigation bar, can't seem to find the selector to edit in userChrome.css

Highlighted
New User

Hide go arrow in navigation bar, can't seem to find the selector to edit in userChrome.css

I used edits to userChrome.css to hide several items from the address bar, but I can't seem to find the right selector for the arrow that appears when you start typing in the address bar. So now it is the only thing there and it's driving me crazy. I have spent over an hour trying to figure it out with inspector addons and searching the web. I'm about to lose my mind. Obviously this is an insignificant thing to spend more than an hour on. Hopefully you can help me solve it relatively quickly.

11 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Hide go arrow in navigation bar, can't seem to find the selector to edit in userChrome.css

This code in userChrome.css should do it.

Add this code to the userChrome.css file below the default @namespace line.

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* only needed once */

#urlbar .autocomplete-history-dropmarker { display:none!important; }
New User

Re: Hide go arrow in navigation bar, can't seem to find the selector to edit in userChrome.css

Thanks for the quick reply! I believe that is for the down arrow. I struggled for a while to remove that one too, but I already have that in my userChrome.css. I mean the right arrow that looks like ->. It only appears when you type in the address bar.

Site Moderator

Do you mean the (green) 'Go' button?

That Go button is by default part of the combined Stop/Reload/Go button and has id: #urlbar-go-button

Do you have the other two buttons (Stop and Reload) still somewhere on the Navigation Toolbar or did you drag them in the toolbar palette?

New User

No there is a gray right arrow that has a green hover over effect. Within the textbox. It only appears when you start typing. I restarted without my customizations (which had hidden the refresh icon), and it looks like the refresh icon may actually be changing its icon. Or perhaps it's just being hidden and a new element is replacing it in the same position.

2013-01-23-17-13-48-3d801a.png
Site Moderator

Yes, that is the Go button. That button appears when you edit the URL on the location bar and can be used instead of the enter key.

Did you try that selector?

#urlbar-go-button { display:none!important; }
New User

I had tried that with no luck, even though

#urlbar-reload button {display: none !important; }

successfully hid the reload button inside the textbox. I looked nearby under <hbox id="urlbar-icons"> and found the selector for the actual image used for the go button:

#go-button { display:none!important; }

Using that, it worked just fine. Odd that it would work for urlbar-reload-button and not for urlbar-go-button. All 3 of the buttons have the same class, chromeclass-toolbar-additional. Also tried hiding that and it didn't work.

Whether or not it makes sense, I have a working solution. Thanks for the help!

New User

missing a - on the urlbar-reload-button in my post above.

Site Moderator

There are two 'go' buttons.
The #urlbar-go-button is used when the combined Stop and Reload button are displayed in the location bar and the #go-button is used if you have moved the Stop and Reload buttons elsewhere.

New User

Sure enough. I had dragged off the stop and reload buttons. Learned some things that may be useful to someone.

If you have not removed the reload and stop buttons, you can expose them with right click > customize... When you exit customizing, those two buttons are combined into the address bar (textbox) itself if the reload button is to the left. If you change the order of the buttons (put stop to the left), they will no longer auto-combine and will remain separate buttons outside the textbox.

I also had the buttons be combined to a button outside of the textbox a few different times, but I never could figure out what combination of things or order of steps would cause it. There were times where I would re-order the stop and reload buttons, click done, right click > customize, re-order them again, and then rather than combining into the textbox they would combine into a separate button.

So if you are like me and you just wanted to remove all buttons period, you can just drag off the reload and stop buttons and then use the #go-button selector. If you are wanting to just remove one or the other, be prepared to experiment. Perhaps my situation is complicated by some addons or about:config modifications I did in the past and it is normally more straightforward.