I accidentally downloaded Babylon unknown to what a truly horrible search engine this is! I have tried to get rid of it, by un-installing, I did manage to get rid of the search engine to the right of the URL bar bu doing the whole plug-in thing. I tried what everyone said about doing the about:config thing, and when I search keyword.URL, that is blank, but I changed it to google anyways, then I searched Babylon and modifed, and reset everything marked with Babylon. However, when I close out Firefox and re-start, my homepage STILL goes to babylon even after I changed all those setting and then also set google as my homepage in the options and add-ons tab. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!
Solved! Go to Solution.
You can read detailed step by step description with a lot f screenshots here: http://www.print-and-carry.eu/How-to-remove-comple
I have succeeded in getting rid of babylon search page by following two steps. 1. Type about:configure in URL and enter. Scroll down and right click on each entry with babylon in it and click modify. A box opens, type google.com (or whatever you like). 2. From start menu, open computer, C drive and type babylon in the search box. Here I deleted all the files that showed babylon in in the programs folder. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS A SMART THING to do but it worked for me. Now, I click on the + tab and get google.com. I am open to any other suggestions by experts out there.
dont panic, babylon toolbar is a malicious software that will cause annoying redirects, slow browser performance and some other interruptions. As this babylon toolbar cannot be removed normally through control panel, its recommended to run an anti-malware program to get rid of it. Or do a manual remove to delete all of its hidden components. For instance, check out How to remove babylon malware
FYI- I found this article very helpful:
The article details a lot of the same things others have suggested, but specifically recommends downloading the free online program "MalwareBytes" in one of the steps, and it seems to have made the difference.
My sister had tried "everything," and following this article step by step finally seems to have fixed the issue.