cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone successfully removed babylon?

Highlighted
New Contributor

Has anyone successfully removed babylon?

I have read the fora, tried the solutions and none work. Config changes don't help as Babylon is completely unresponsive to those actions.

37 REPLIES
Shooting Star Contributor

Re: Has anyone successfully removed babylon?

The quick and easy way to remove babylon and restore your settings is to do a reset - Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings

If you want to be sure to not to change to many other things, you can remove the babylon add-ons and then use the search reset add-on to change back the settings that babylon changed. Instructions for that are here - Remove a toolbar that has taken over your Firefox search or home page

New Contributor

Thank you but I have to add that solution to the long list of things that do not work. A heard drive reformat is the only real answer so far.

New Contributor

Babylon virus is a very pernicious bug. All previous solutions no longer work. I am concerned that a program so embedded may have serious intentions and consequences. It is beyond Mozilla/Chrome control and that can only mean damaging intentions in the future. It is designed so that users give up and just continue to use it. It's functionality can be turned at any time. National security? Possible. Mozilla needs to attack this legally. And they must release a software patch. Urgent.

New Contributor

Note: Both reset Firefox and Unwanted Tool Bar Removal solutions do not work, if anyone is following this carefully.

New Contributor

Uninstalling Babylon in W7 does not work. About: config does not work.

Site Moderator

jaguar6cy, you should totally be able to remove Babylon without reinstalling Windows (that is a very drastic solution for this simple problem):

First, do the following:

go to Start, Control Panel, Uninstall a program. You'll need to uninstall everything in here related to Babylon (Babylon Toolbar, Babylon, B-manager, broswerprotection, etc. Restart your Computer after removing.

Then, open up Firefox. Go to the Firefox button, then Add-ons, then Extensions. remove anything related to Babylon. restart Firefox.

Then, install https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/searchreset/.

\You shouldn't be seeing Babylon after this. if you do, let me know where it is and I'll help you further.

New Contributor

Hello, Did the first two multiple times. The add on was just installed. FFX restarted. About config shows 3 Babylon entries rather than 30. But that is not significant because Babylon reinstalls itself. eg. A config search copy/paste shows: browser.search.defaultenginename;Search the web (Babylon) browser.search.order.1;Search the web (Babylon) browser.search.selectedEngine;Search the web (Babylon) I could reset them again, but I have already done that many times. The 30 Babylon entries always reinstall.

MalwareBytes and MS Security do not identify it either. This is more than a common virus, it is too embedded. Someone needs this to be pervasive and ready.

Site Moderator

So you ran through all the steps I gave you? where are you till seeing babylon at?

New Contributor

The address bar icon and listed in FFX about:config