cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google map icons do not show up as of last week. I have used firefox for months now and just recently this has stopped working.

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Google map icons do not show up as of last week. I have used firefox for months now and just recently this has stopped working.

When i log into my googlemaps account and want to add my own icons to the map, they do not appear anymore when i use firefox. It looks like there is a broken GIF error on the maps and then nothing shows up. I have tried IE and Chrome on the same computer and it works fine. Would love to have my firefox back though. Please let me know if you can help with this issue. It seems to have started late afternoon last Thursday.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Google map icons do not show up as of last week. I have used firefox for months now and just recently this has stopped working.

No, not directly, but I can at least make them visible (33) with a bookmarklet based on the code in this MozillaZine forum thread that removes the crossorigin attributes.

(you can't run such code via the location bar, but it works in the Scratchpad or as a bookmark)

javascriptSmiley Sadfunction(){var imgs=document.querySelectorAll('img[crossorigin]');for(i=0;imgs[i];i++){imgs[i].removeAttribute('crossorigin');imgs[i].src=imgs[i].src;}alert(i);})();
22 REPLIES
Support Forum Moderator

Re: Google map icons do not show up as of last week. I have used firefox for months now and just recently this has stopped working.

Try the Firefox SafeMode to see how it works there.
A troubleshooting mode, which disables most Add-ons.
(If you're not using it, switch to the Default Theme.)

• You can open the Firefox 4/5/6/7 SafeMode by holding the Shft key when you use the Firefox desktop or Start menu shortcut.
  • Or use the Help menu item, click on Restart with Add-ons Disabled... while Firefox is running.

Don't select anything right now, just use "Continue in SafeMode."

To exit the Firefox Safe Mode, just close Firefox and wait a few seconds before using the Firefox shortcut (without the Shft key) to open it again.

If it is good in the Firefox SafeMode, your problem is probably caused by an extension, and you need to figure out which one.
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/troubleshooting+extensions+and+themes

When you figure out what is causing that, please let us know. It might help other user's who have that problem.

New User

Just restarted in safe mode and the same problem still occurs.

Site Moderator

Can be caused by a missing cross origin access header in the response headers from the server.

See this MozillaZine forum thread "My own Google Map icons are not visible in Firefox 8":

New User

I've had this problem ever since FF8 update. I've seen the .htaccess solution and I must say it's less than satisfactory.

Of all the time I've used Firefox (since AOL took over Netscape) I have never been required to write code (even if it's easy stuff) to correct a problem created by an update.

In addition, my public webspace provider won't allow .htaccess files.

It worked in FF before, now it doesn't. It works in IE, Android, Chrome. Therefore it is FF8 that is the problem. It shouldn't be the responsibility of every individual user to fix it.

This problem is NOT solved.

New User

It worked in FF before, now it doesn't. It works in IE, Android, Chrome. Therefore it is FF8 that is the problem. It shouldn't be the responsibility of every individual user to fix it. I'm agree with you. Additional info: if you change the map-view from "earth" to "satelite" the marker will be visible! Here is my personal map

New User

This still isn't working. Opened up a computer with an old FF version and it worked fine. There has to be a solution to this because it works in all other browsers. Please Help. I use this daily and will have to switch to chrome if the issue isn't resolved.

Site Moderator

That is because a crossorigin attribute is added to those images and that prevents loading those images unless the server sends the correct response.
If other browsers like Google Chrome will respect that attribute then it will stop working there as well.

New User

Well if that is the case why did it work in the previous version of firefox? And works in all other browsers except for this update?

New User

@cor-el: That is a bogus solution.

@Someone who is really competent: Can u plz help with this issue?