Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Screen toolbars don't auto hide

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Full Screen toolbars don't auto hide

Since Firefox 14 came out on OSX I've been really annoyed by the Lion full screen. I don't exactly hate it but the problem is that the toolbars (awesome bar, bookmark bar etc.) no longer auto hide when in full screen on OSX Lion. Please tell me there is a fix on the way or some quick easy fix for this. I want my screen filled up again. So annoying when I view images.

I'm sticking with 13.0.1 until someone can offer a fix.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: Full Screen toolbars don't auto hide

I just stumbled upon add-on "Old Lion Fullscreen". It fixed this problem for me (OS X 10.7.5, Firefox 15.0.1). There are several bugs mentioned in the discussions, so probably the only way to find out it it works for any one user is to install it and see.

18 REPLIES
Site Moderator

I don't use Mac OS X Lion but maybe there is something in this article that will help, when you view it for Mac and Firefox 14:

Link: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/how-make-firefox-and-websites-go-full-screen#os=mac&browser=fx14

New Contributor

Unfortunately that is exactly the steps used to produce the problem. The problem isn't I don't know how to go into full screen. The problem is the fact that the tool bars no longer hide when in full screen.

Site Moderator

Maybe check this pref on the about:config page.

New Contributor

I've tried it. Switched the pref to true and false. It was true by default. Doesn't do anything.

New Contributor

Agreed that this functionality that was present in Firefox 13 should really be restored.

I can confirm that changing browser.fullscreen.animateUp and browser.fullscreen.autohide doesn't help, and at the moment the extension FF Fullscreen 7 also does not work for me.

New Contributor

I waited for years to Firefox to offer a true fullscreen with completely hidden tabs and toolbars that worked with a Mac. Now you have taken it away!!!! I'm going back to version 13, if I can. I don't understand why you would want to copy Safari's non-fullscreen set up.

Site Moderator

Related bugzilla reports:

• Bug 774677 - Auto hide toolbars in full-screen is broken on OSX LION]

...which is marked a duplicate of:

• Bug 740148 - [10.7] Allow hiding toolbars for presentations].

The browser.fullscreen.autohide preference which controlled the previous full-screen behavior, is now ignored in Firefox 14.0.1 on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

New Contributor

Does this mean it will be fixed? Soon?

I have this fear that the goal is to make Firefox work as Safari does with Lion, which it a terrible goal to have since Safari offers no fullscreen toolbar/tab free browsing experience. I don't understand why Safari would not offer true fullscreen....

Site Moderator

Bill from Missouri, you asked, "Does this mean it will be fixed? Soon?.

I have no idea. Some Mozilla bugs are unassigned for years; others get fixed right away. What you can do is set up a bugzilla.mozilla.org account and vote for bug 740148. At least that way, you will get e-mails when any new information gets added to the bug.