cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For 7.0, get popup saying "Can't load XRE extensions." Firefox fails to open.

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

For 7.0, get popup saying "Can't load XRE extensions." Firefox fails to open.

On Win 7 system, loaded new version 7.0 of Firefox. When attempting to open Firefox, I get a popup that say's "Couldn't load XRE functions." Firefox won't open.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: For 7.0, get popup saying "Can't load XRE extensions." Firefox fails to open.

I had the same problem. I am running Zone Alarm. Went in and changed the setting in the 'Internet Protected' part, turned off Browser Virtualization. And no more popups from XUL Runner. Firefox opens just fine.

14 REPLIES
New Contributor

Re: For 7.0, get popup saying "Can't load XRE extensions." Firefox fails to open.

The popup with the message "Couldn't load XRE functions." is coming from XULRunner.

New Contributor

I had the same problem. I am running Zone Alarm. Went in and changed the setting in the 'Internet Protected' part, turned off Browser Virtualization. And no more popups from XUL Runner. Firefox opens just fine.

New Contributor

Same here. Good catch. Have you let Zone Alarm know about this incompatibility?

New Contributor

The problem with Zone Alarm and Win 7 did not occur on my XP laptop. Firefox 7.0 opened normally even with Browser Visualization turned on.

New Contributor

Hi: I just posted a question regarding the same problem. I have not yet received a response. However, I just happened to try running Firefox 7.0.1 in Administrator Mode, and Firfox opened! I have recently performed an In-Place Upgrade of my HP dv9820 laptop from Vista Home Premium x64 to Win 7 HP x64, and upgrades to my Firefox (from 6.0.2) and, of course all of the many updates for Win 7. I also have Zone Alarm Extreme Security 2011, but I have yet to try the solution above from karla_n_spike. Until Mozilla provides a resolution such that Firefox 7.0.1 does not have to run from Administarator Mode, I will continue to do so. However, given that I receive the same error "XULRunner-couldn't load XRE function" whenever I activate a hotlink from an email or website (Firefox is my default browser), I will try changing my default to IE9. I would be grateful for any other insights into a more satisfactory resolution such that I could continue to use Firefox and my default browser. Appreciatively, Arbyem

New Contributor

Also got Firefox to load normally after changing the setting mentioned. But I don't know how important the protection is which I am losing by switching this setting to "off." Haven't tried on my laptop yet.

New Contributor

Hi again: I tried the "disable browser virtualization" In my Zone Alarm Extreme Security 2011, as suggested in this post stream: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=689719 but it did not resolve the problem For my work-around to the inability to use hotlinks via Firefox, I can also open Firefox running under the Administrator, and copy and paste the hotlink, but that is a kludgy process to have to conduct. Besides, I want the Zone Alarm Extreme Security protection in the "browser virtualization" area. I await a more satisfactory resolution from Mozilla. Appreciatively, Arbyem

New Contributor

I agree. Mozilla needs to address this issue so that the Zone Alarm functionality can be used. This problem does not affect Sea Monkey, another Mozilla browser, or any other browser as far as I am aware.

New Contributor

Thanks for the confirmation. I had to use the kludgy approach of copying and pasting the URL from my email to a Firefox webpage opened using the run as Administrator mode. Hopefully, Mozilla will resolve this embarrassing problem. I also hope that they resolve a similar incompatibility that prevents Firefox from permitting my RoboForm2Go program to operate by displaying its toolbar as an acceptable add-on. Arbyem