Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Font is messed up on Firefox 17.0

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Font is messed up on Firefox 17.0

Just updated to FF17.0 and the fonts look awful, something like when the ClearType is enabled in Windows. I have ClearType disabled cause I hate the look of the fonts with it enabled, and now Firefox looks like it's all over it. Font is like bolded. What happened? Can I disable it somewhere in Firefox?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shooting Star Contributor

Re: Font is messed up on Firefox 17.0

Hey guys! Thanks to everyone who helped us in troubleshooting this. We are fairly certain it's an azure problem. There is a patch in the works and setting gfx.content.azure.enabled = False seems to work in the meantime. I don't know if the patch will be part of a chemspill or wait until 18. Thanks for your help and patience.

Happy Thanksgiving!

109 REPLIES
New Contributor

Here are two screenshots to compare:

FF16: http://i46.tinypic.com/qmxkq8.png

FF17: http://i50.tinypic.com/2qkm9up.png

Nothing has changed in my settings either in Windows or in Firefox. Just simple update from 16.0.2 to 17.0.

Notice how awful the word "mozilla" looks in address bar.

2012-11-20-12-04-56-11d21a.png 2012-11-20-12-04-53-c4a13d.png
New Contributor

Exactly the same problem. Can't find the option to turn off FF messing with fonts.

New Contributor

I noticed if I turn off the hardware acceleration in tools-options-advanced the fonts goes back to ordinary....but I shouldn't have to turn it off, I have a good graphic card so I want to have this options on

New Contributor

Well disabling HW accel. helps, but only partially. Firefox itself looks good, but fonts on certain sites now looks even more unreadable for me than before.

New Contributor

I have no problems with the fonts within the web sites, it looks as good as it did with FF 16.0.2 but I hope there is a solution because it looks terrible with the Hw enabled

New Contributor

It's actually just one site with custom font that I'm on that looks bad. All other sites look like they should.

New Contributor

I went back to 16.0.2...couldn't stand it Smiley Sad

Site Moderator

Note that on the Windows platform such issues on a web page can also be caused by Firefox placing all members of a font family in one group and selecting a member in that group based on CSS font rules.

You can use this extension to see which fonts are used for text that is selected (right-click context menu: Show fonts in selection).

You can do a font test to see if you can identify corrupted font(s).

New Contributor

My big issue is that firefox fonts on menu, bookmark toolbar etc looks really bad not on the sites. It looks all compact, blurry and thick. As guniu explained it looks like clear type is enabled...

I have disabled all plugins and extensions even reinstalled graphic drivers but the only thing that helps is to disable the HW acc so I went back to ff 16 for now,