Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash doesn't work in Firefox 13

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Flash doesn't work in Firefox 13

Installed Firefox 13 yesterday. Now flash doesn't work. Have done all the supposed fixes to no avail. Have uninstalled and reinstalled flash. I'm at my wits end with this issue. I'm a web designer who uses flash in a number of my sites. VERY IRRITATING when my sites don't display properly. Anyone have a solution other than the pat Mozilla "fixes"?

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New User

Re: Flash doesn't work in Firefox 13

I've found the solution for shockwave not working.

1. Go into about:addons

2. Make sure "Shockwave for Director" is present

3. find "Mozilla ActiveX Control and Plugin Support"

4. disable it

5. refresh the page

This worked for me to get shockwave flash stuff working again.

Edit: shockwave flash worked perfectly fine for me with my old set up until i updated to 13, so it is definitely Mozilla's problem, and after finding this solution I'm sure of it.

20 REPLIES
Mozilla Support Contributor

Flash doesn't work anywhere, even on Adobe's test page? http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

I assume you have verified that the Flash plugin is enabled, but you could double-check here for "Shockwave Flash":

orange Firefox button or classic Tools menu > Add-ons > Plugins

Do you have any add-ons that might block Flash, either directly or indirectly? For example, ad blockers, or NoScript. If so, try disabling them and see whether that makes any difference.

Do you have any SWF files saved locally? If you drag and drop one on a Firefox tab, does it run?

I'm not sure what else you tried, so to avoid duplicating suggestions, could you describe that in more detail?

New User

This is how I got mine working, I hope someone else will find it useful... 1. Install flash from here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ (follow the instructions) 2. Restart firefox 3. Goto the abode flash test page: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ 4. Look for a yellow message at the top saying plugin required. 5. Click the button and install this plugin. The install will fail stating you already have this version installed, however, flash worked for me after this.

New User

Thanks y'all. I've done all you mentioned not once, not twice, but several times. Still no joy. All flash applications work in Google Chrome, and IE and they work on my husband's older version of Firefox so I'm assuming this is a Firefox 13 shortcoming. I even tried uninstalling then reinstalling Firefox. Then I tried to find an older version to install.......nope can't do that either. That's what I get for accepting Firefox updates. Again, VERY irritating. So I'll be using Google Chrome from here on out.

Site Moderator

hello, is shockwave flash showing up as enabled in firefox > addons > plugins?

New User

If it is working on sites like youtube, or here: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

but not here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

Then it is a shockwave player issue, not a flash player issue. If that is the case, then i have the same problem.

New User

Yep, shockwave flash shows as enabled.............but it doesn't work.

I don't deal with youtube much so don't know about what's flash there and what's mp3 etc. so am not sure where to check. The Adobe test page does show an Adobe block that is animated. However other flash test pages do not work nor do the flash applications on my website or any of my client's sites.

I still maintain it's a Mozilla problem since all flash applications work fine everywhere but Mozilla. And my flash applications worked fine in Mozilla till I made the mistake of installing 13.

Mozilla Support Contributor

Hi bobcattexas, Flash runs on Firefox 13 on every site I've tried. Even if Firefox isn't your primary browser any more, I'm sure you want to see what your sites look like in Firefox. There's a good chance you have a conflict with another add-on. Have you tried to rule that out by disabling all your other add-ons? The simplest way to do that is disable all add-ons using Firefox's Safe Mode dialog and then re-enabling the Shockwave Flash plugin.

Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode

New User

I've found the solution for shockwave not working.

1. Go into about:addons

2. Make sure "Shockwave for Director" is present

3. find "Mozilla ActiveX Control and Plugin Support"

4. disable it

5. refresh the page

This worked for me to get shockwave flash stuff working again.

Edit: shockwave flash worked perfectly fine for me with my old set up until i updated to 13, so it is definitely Mozilla's problem, and after finding this solution I'm sure of it.

New User

THANK YOU BARBOSSA!!!!!!!!! That fixed it.

Stupid Mozilla. Why should I have to do that just because they "updated"? I'm a designer, not a geek. My dear spouse is a geek and he couldn't figure it out either. If there are going to be strange hoops to jump through Mozilla should provide disclaimers. I will not be updating again any time soon. Now, how do I explain all this to the clients we've talked into using Mozilla instead of IE (rhetorical question)? Again, VERY irritating.