cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox won't save passwords. The option to save box is not ticked either.

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Firefox won't save passwords. The option to save box is not ticked either.

Firefox will not save new password. I am not able to check the box for it to have the option to save new ones.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Legendary Contributor

Re: Firefox won't save passwords. The option to save box is not ticked either.

Hello, do you have in privacy panel > History > CHECKED "Never remember history" ?

if yes, try to set it to "remember history" or "Use custom settings for history" and check it again.

thank you

18 REPLIES
New Contributor

Attachment to the question

2013-04-10-09-06-09-633de4.png
Legendary Contributor

Hello, do you have in privacy panel > History > CHECKED "Never remember history" ?

if yes, try to set it to "remember history" or "Use custom settings for history" and check it again.

thank you

New Contributor

Thank you!! That did the trick.

Legendary Contributor

you are welcome

New Contributor

I have the same problem. In the Privacy panel I have History set to 'Remember history', and in the Security panel under Passwords I try to check 'Remember passwords for sites', but it won't stay checked. After restarting Firefox it is unchecked again. Running Firefox 21.0 on XP3.

Legendary Contributor

Hello tecarignan, see: Preferences not saved

thank you

New Contributor

Thanks ideato, I suspect Norton is the source as the issue seems to have begun around the same time as the last Norton update. I don't have Norton 360, I have NIS 20.3.1.22, so the instructions in the link don't apply for me. However the saved password issue is a problem for me only on a webmail site where I use multiple login IDs, and for that site I always let Firefox remember the passwords. On other websites with a single login ID, I use Norton's 'Vault' (login/password manager) to remember passwords. I'll just workaround the issue by configuring Vault to allow multiple logins on the webmail site.

New Contributor

I'm having the same stupid problem. Tried setting everything as listed above. Nothing. I'm not going to try what ideato suggested too complicated. I just reinstalled firefox and this problem showed up. maybe I should switch to google chrome. I'm fed up with complicated computer problems.

Site Moderator

You can try to create a new profile or reset Firefox.

When you reset Firefox then a new profile is created and some personal data (bookmarks, history, cookies, passwords, form data) is automatically imported and the current profile folder will be moved to the desktop (Old Firefox Data).
You will lose extensions and other customizations (toolbars, prefs) that you've made.

See also "Creating a profile":

If the new profile works then you can transfer some files from an existing profile to the new profile, but be cautious not to copy corrupted files to avoid carrying over the problem.