cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox won't play videos from YouTube, Hulu, etc. w/latest Flash version.

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Firefox won't play videos from YouTube, Hulu, etc. w/latest Flash version.

Despite following both Firefox and Flash directions, Firefox won't play videos from YouTube, Hulu, etc. They either never load or they load and freeze within seconds. Before I got the latest versions of Firefox and Flash, I did not have this problem. So there must be a problem in one or both of them. Since I understand from various websites that this is a widespread problem, can Firefox fix this? It's a major flaw in the latest Firefox version.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Firefox won't play videos from YouTube, Hulu, etc. w/latest Flash version.

Please read the article linked below:
Flash 11.3 doesn't load video in Firefox

19 REPLIES
New Contributor

ok i was having the same problem but i literally just fixed it...the way i did it was i went into facebook and went to a video...but before i clicked play i right clicked on the video and went to settings and i disabled (unclicked) hardware acceleration

New Contributor

I didn't have this problem at all until I upgraded to FF v. 3.6.9 and after several attempts of looking for a solution, I finally found yours!

Thanks Mike, your solution worked for me too! I wonder if its something with the new version that hasn't been widely reported yet?

New Contributor

Another solution (VISTA users): 1. Do as mike7721 said, i.e disable adobe flash hardware acceleration 2. Go to file location (plugin-container.exe), right click and set compatibility mode with win 98 / ME

Default location is: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe

More. Used one of solutions posted here: http://support.mozilla.com/ru/questions/722072 Disable the "crash protection" http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin-container_and_out-of-process_plugins

Note: no such problems in Win 7

New Contributor

Thank you Mike! I never would have figured this one out! Such a simple solution for such a big problem! Thanks again!

Regular Contributor

We now know that the problem has to do with with the latest flash versions. Here are two options to fix the problem:

1. You can revert back to the previous version of Flash that worked. Here's the link to Flash Player 10.2.152.26: http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_firefox/9252/ If that doesn't work, choose a previous version.
  2. You can install the Firefox 4 RC.
New Contributor

Efreak is correct. All these other issues are chintzy workarounds. The problem lies in the latest flash updates, which the latest firefox updates "recommended" to have.

Disabling hardware acceleration or cookies has huge problems.

Revert to the old flash and you will likely not have these problems, until this problem is actually fixed.

I'm not sure I will trust ff 4, though, for a while, especially until the flash problem is solved.

New Contributor

If you are running Adblock Plus...

While on a YouTube page, right click the ABP icon and "open blockable items".

When the window opens at the bottom of the page, right click this line: http://s.ytimg.com/yt/swfbin/watch_as3-vfl9DouAr.swf (or some variation) , then "Disable Filter".

New Contributor

Culprit: Tweak Tube extension When i disabled it, all was well; no problem with youtubes.

I first ran Firefox in safe mode (without all my extensions loaded). No problem; so disabled them one by one. Tweak Tube is a problem

New Contributor

I had the exact same problem and tried everything! Eventually I just uninstalled Firefox (keeping all settings) and re-installed it. Worked like a charm! All videos run now with now problem. Many people have found that this solved their problem too. Hope it works for you!