cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox won't load certain pages (such as Google.com) but works in windows safe mode with networking.

Highlighted
New User

Firefox won't load certain pages (such as Google.com) but works in windows safe mode with networking.

Firefox safe mode does not solve the issue. Disabled and also uninstalled antivirus and firewall and did not help. Disabled all startup items except the ones known not to cause the problem. Other browsers such as Chrome has no problems. Mozilla Thunderbird also will not connect.

22 REPLIES
Senior User

Re: Firefox won't load certain pages (such as Google.com) but works in windows safe mode with networking.

New User

Re: Firefox won't load certain pages (such as Google.com) but works in windows safe mode with networking.

Hi,

I've tried the link suggested with these results:

Firefox connection settings - I do not connect using a proxy. IPv6, DNS Prefetching, clearing history - tried all the solutions with no luck. I've completed a scan for malware using Malwarebytes with no detections.

Internet Security software blocking Firefox - I have disabled and even uninstalled the antivirus and firewall with no luck.

Would you know if there is a way to compare the programs/processes running in normal mode with windows safe mode because Firefox works fine in windows safe mode?

Grand Master

Have you looked for any suspicious addons in the addon manager (Firefox button/ Orange button => Addons)?

New User

I recognize all the addons I have so I don't think it is the problem. Furthermore, I have started Firefox in safe mode and the problem persists.

Site Moderator

Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
Please scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
All these programs have free versions.

Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.

You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.

See also:

New User

I have finished scanning for malware with those programs with no changes to Firefox. Is there anything else I can check?

Senior User

SUMO Contributor

Hello idgassfy, any luck if you update your drivers ? in windows safe mode only the next devices and drivers starts :

• Floppy disk drives (internal and USB)
  • Internal CD-ROM drives (ATA, SCSI)
  • External CD-ROM drives (USB)
  • Internal DVD-ROM drives (ATA, SCSI)
  • External DVD-ROM drives (USB)
  • Internal hard disk drives (ATA, SATA, SCSI)
  • External hard disk drives (USB)
  • Keyboards (USB, PS/2, serial)
  • Mice (USB, PS/2, serial)
  • VGA display cards (PCI, AGP)
  • Network Adapters (wired Ethernet and wireless 802.11x)
  • Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
  • DNS
  • Network Connections
  • TCP/IP-NetBIOS Helper
  • Windows Firewall

thank you

New User

ARAMVA097, the link you provided gave me a hint with "The problem only happens on a secure (https) website", however I don't get the error messages that are suggested.