cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox update page keeps opening in a new tab every time I open Firefox. How do I stop this?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Firefox update page keeps opening in a new tab every time I open Firefox. How do I stop this?

Every time I open up Firefox, the update checking window opens first, then I get 2 tabs that open. One is my home page, the other is the page that opens after a new version of Firefox is installed. How can I get the Firefox update page to stop opening? I had the same thing happen with the "Download Helper" add-on. The only way I could get it to stop was to disable it. I am running windows 7 and Firefox 9.

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shooting Star

Re: Firefox update page keeps opening in a new tab every time I open Firefox. How do I stop this?

Please try creating a new profile and check if the problem persists.

14 REPLIES
Shooting Star

Re: Firefox update page keeps opening in a new tab every time I open Firefox. How do I stop this?

Hi,

Please check if there are more than one entry in Tools (Alt + T) > Options > General > Home Page:.

...............................................................................................................................

Useful links:

All about Tools > Options

Going beyond Tools > Options - about:config

about:config Entries

Page Info Tools (Alt + T) > Page Info, Right-click > View Page Info

Keyboard Shortcuts

Viewing Video without Plugins

Firefox Profile Folder & Files

Firefox Commands

Basic Troubleshooting

After Upgrading

Safe Mode

Problematic Extensions

Troubleshooting Extensions and Themes

Troubleshooting Plugins

Testing Plugins

New User

There is not. When I open Firefox, the first thing that happens is a window opens up that says it is checking for add-on compatibility, then the 2 tabs open up. One is my home page, the other is the "Hooray! you have the latest version of Firefox" or something like that.

New User

"Hooray! Your Firefox is up to date."

Shooting Star

Please see if there's an updates.xml file in the Firefox installation directory and delete it.

New User

These are the only update references I could find: update.locale LOCALE file updater Application updater Configuration settings

Should I do anything with these?

Shooting Star

Please see this.

New User

It's not an issue with Downloadhelper. It's FF.

Shooting Star

Hi tomburt61,

Please see this

New User

Besides the update tab opening up with my homepage tab every time I open FF, I also cannot save any preference changes. So I followed the instructions for "Corrupt preferences file" and that did not work. I don't know what else to do.