cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox update 23.0.1, no longer automatically highlights the address bar content when I open a new tab.

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Firefox update 23.0.1, no longer automatically highlights the address bar content when I open a new tab.

The above. When I opened a new tab in the past, before the new update, firefox would automatically highlight the text in the address bar, and I could simply start typing from there the address of the site I wanted. I could quickly get to anywhere I wanted in less than a second. Now, I have to drag and click into the address bar every time. I installed an add-on called "custom newtab" but it just slows me down further due to a lag between the opening of a new tab, and the add-on kicking in and highlighting the address bar content. What happens is this: Click "new tab" New tab opens blank and the text appears highlighted "google.co.uk" for about a quarter second. Page loads Google and the highlighted text becomes unhighlighted for another quarter second. Add-on kicks in and highlights the text "google.co.uk" meanwhile I've already begun typing and end up losing the first part of the words, sending me to random web pages and searches.

Why did this change?! Fix it please!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Legendary Contributor

Re: Firefox update 23.0.1, no longer automatically highlights the address bar content when I open a new tab.

Hi ChrisYeomans, a change has been noted in other threads relating to google.co.uk

The http URL now automatically redirects to https. Since you did not specify the protocol in your newtab.url setting, Firefox tries http and this is immediately redirected to the https domain. You should be able to see this happen unless your computer is way faster than mine.

Firefox is not handling this redirect elegantly -- the URL in the address bar is not selected unless you click a different tab then click back.

To bypass the problem, update your newtab.url to the complete URL https://www.google.co.uk/

18 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Firefox update 23.0.1, no longer automatically highlights the address bar content when I open a new tab.

You can press the ESC key to stop loading pages and/or highlighting that location bar content, so when you start typing you replace the current URL. You can consider the set the new tab page to about:blank it you do not use the home page that often and middle-click the Home button to open the home page in a new tab.

New Contributor

That did in no way solve the problem. The issue is that I DON'T want to click and press additional buttons. I want to press my new tab shortcut, then start typing. I don't want to click new tab, then esc within a specific window, then failing that click into the search bar, or wait until pages have loaded before I can type for fear of losing half my search criteria and having to do it all again.

Site Moderator

If the custom new tab extension isn't working properly for you (i.e needs extra waiting time) then you will have to use other ways to accomplish this. Extensions usually only kick in when the page has finished loading, so if your current new tab page takes a bit more time then you need to wait longer before starting to type or press the ESC key.

New Contributor

So you aren't going to touch the issue about how firefox is broken since the update then? Righto. Moving to chrome. Bye!

Support Forum Moderator

It appears that the problem you are experiencing is down to a third party addon

You may wish to ask the developer about your problems.

When you move over to Chrome you may wish to take your Firefox bookmarks with you

New Contributor

I have the exact same preference i like firefax better but i hate that when i open new tab i haz to click on the navigation bar. Did you get the problem solved? Reply to me if so thank you

Support Forum Moderator

cyborg1337,

Your problem may look the same but may have a different cause.

• do you even have Custom New Tab 1.7.1 installed ?
  1. Please start your own thread using /quetions/new
  2. Follow the prompts to provide full troubleshooting information
  3. Answer the above question in the new thread
  4. If you wish Post back in this thread to confirm you started the new thread so everyone is able to follow it, and help you.
New Contributor

The issue was never with the add on. The add on was added on because firefox stopped working the way I wanted it to. Apparently it is a big enough issue that a third party developer had to go and make an add on just to fix it

Support Forum Moderator

But it appears you now have an issue with how your addon does or does not work. As for development issues and Firefox enhancement requests; they are out of scope for this forum.