cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox takes 1 minute or more to open pages.

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Firefox takes 1 minute or more to open pages.

Hey, Recently updated to Firefox 15, now all webpages take at least 1 minute to load. However, there is no internet issue, it's really strange. For example, I'll open four different websites, they'll all say 'Connecting to x' or 'Waiting for x' and just stay there for a minute. After a while, they'll all load as usual at the same time. It's like Firefox has loaded the pages but just isn't displaying them, while this was happening once, I tried resetting the router to see if there was an error there and it still loaded the page after 1 minute, while there was no internet connection available.

I've tried - disabling firewall, anti virus, reinstalling Firefox, restarting router and disabling plugins. Other internet browsers work with no problem.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Legendary Contributor

Re: Firefox takes 1 minute or more to open pages.

Could you try disabling Firefox's hardware graphics acceleration? Due to recent graphics drivers, more people are having problems with this feature.

You usually need to restart Firefox in order for this to take effect, so save all work first (e.g., mail you are composing, online documents you're editing, etc.).

orange Firefox button or classic Tools menu > Options > Advanced

On the "General" mini-tab, uncheck the box for "Use hardware acceleration when available"

If you restart Firefox, is the issue resolved or at least improved?

12 REPLIES
Legendary Contributor

Could you try disabling Firefox's hardware graphics acceleration? Due to recent graphics drivers, more people are having problems with this feature.

You usually need to restart Firefox in order for this to take effect, so save all work first (e.g., mail you are composing, online documents you're editing, etc.).

orange Firefox button or classic Tools menu > Options > Advanced

On the "General" mini-tab, uncheck the box for "Use hardware acceleration when available"

If you restart Firefox, is the issue resolved or at least improved?

New Contributor

Thanks jscher, as far as I can tell, your solution solved it.

New Contributor

Where and how do I disable Firefox's hardware graphics acceleration

Legendary Contributor

Hi graverholt, if you are running Windows, see my earlier post.

If you are using Mac or Linux, your Options dialog is called Preferences and you can find it here:

Mac: Firefox > Preferences > Advanced

Linux: Edit > Preferences > Advanced

Then, on the "General" mini-tab, uncheck the box for "Use hardware acceleration when available"

Were you able to find it?

New Contributor

Yes, thanks, it seems to solve the problem

New Contributor

No. It did not. I have soon had enough of FF - almost not one single hour without problems

Legendary Contributor

Hi graverholt, could you start a new question with more information about what's going wrong? Please include your list of add-ons.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/new/desktop/fix-problems

If the suggestions provided by the next page in that process are not helpful, scroll down to proceed to the posting form.

New Contributor

Version 18.02 is slow and times out, testing Safari as a simple baseline, Firefox is awfully slow with Safari the link goes right thru, that is not the case with Firefox the wheel spins, and spins, and spins, then times out.

New Contributor

Yes, I could send the list of add ons, if FF had not been to stupid as to make it impossible to copy paste the list