Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox redirects to wyciwyg page

SOLVED
Highlighted
Grand Master

Firefox redirects to wyciwyg page

For the past couple of days Firefox always redirects to a blank page when I try to visit any page on www.kongregate.com. When I use IE tab on the blank page it comes up with the url "wyciwyg://#/www.kongregate.com" where # is a number that changes occasionally. I've tried deleting my Firefox cache and uninstalling/reinstalling Firefox with no success. Kongregate.com is the only site I know this to happen on and this is the first time I've seen it do this before. It was fine two days ago and I haven't installed a new add on in months.

URL of affected sites

http://www.kongregate.com

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grand Master

Re: Firefox redirects to wyciwyg page

I've restarted my computer, turned it off for a while, deleted the cache by manually going into the folders, and disabled several plugins and yet the issue remains.

Any more ideas on how to fix this problem?

23 REPLIES
Site Moderator

The wyciwyg protocol is used internally for pages retrieved from the cache. You shouldn't see that protocol under normal circumstances. So it looks that you have a problem with the cache for at least that website.

You can try to clear the cache, but it may be necessary to clear the cache folder on disk. You can see the location of the cache on the about:cache page (open that page via the location bar like a website).

"Clear the Cache": Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Offline Storage (Cache): "Clear Now"

Grand Master

I deleted my cache by using the Options menu and by going to the folder and deleting the files. I restarted Firefox after each try but neither way have solved my problem. Any other ideas are appreciated.

Site Moderator

Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode to check if one of your add-ons is causing your problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Tools > Add-ons > Themes). See Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems and Troubleshoot issues with plugins like Flash or Java to fix common Firefox problems

If it does work in Safe-mode then disable all your extensions and then try to find which is causing it by enabling one at a time until the problem reappears. You can use "Disable all add-ons" on the Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode start window to disable all extensions. You have to close and restart Firefox after each change via "File > Exit" (on Mac: "Firefox > Quit")

Grand Master

I'm seeing the same problem. Safe mode isn't helping.

I actually see the page I expect for a split second, then it goes white and spins like it's trying to load something.

Grand Master

Starting Firefox in safe mode didn't fix my problem.

Seems the previous poster has the same issue. I can see the site for one or two seconds before the page redirects and tries to load something but never finishes.

I tried going to a page on Kongregate today that I've never visited by typing the url directly and see that the redirect still happens.

Grand Master

I've restarted my computer, turned it off for a while, deleted the cache by manually going into the folders, and disabled several plugins and yet the issue remains.

Any more ideas on how to fix this problem?

New User

I have the same problem as the previous poster and have wasted valuable hours searching for a solution to no avail. I have installed a battery of useless plugins, followed all the instructions suggested here, step by step, and the problem persists. I've tried this both on a PC and a Mac and the results are the same. The only way I can see the page I am looking for without it redirecting (in exactly the same way as AnonmousUser describes in the previous two posts) is by accessing the Google cached version.

I don't have a PhD in computing and many of the potential fixes to this that I have found through more general searches are couched in terms that make me glaze over and run for a coffee break.

This problem seems to be quite widespread - how difficult could it be to devise a one-click fix that doesn't require any coding or other complications that the non-tech-savvy simply don't understand?

New User

I have the same problem! When I go to bit.ly, www.mmo-champion.com or rejseplanen.dk, I see the page for a split second, then it starts loading "wyciwyg://(0-9)/(website).com"

I've tried to manually set the cache size, and completely turn off caching in about:config but it didn't help.

I tried downloading Opera, but got the same problem in Opera, and after searching for the problem on google, I see that some people also have the problem in Chrome as well.

The only browser that works, is Internet Explorer.

Please help us!

Site Moderator

Do a malware check with a few malware scan programs.
You need to use all programs because each detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of the database.

See also "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked and What to do when searches take you to the wrong search website