cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox + plug-in container taking 100% of cpu.

Highlighted
New User

Firefox + plug-in container taking 100% of cpu.

OK, I have followed all steps listed in the following article.

"The plugin-container.exe is using 100% cpu usage???"

With only Shockwave flash 11.2.202.235 runninng, which has to be for video to play, I am still having the problem.

I upgraded from XP to Windows 7, and installed a new video card.

I also tried the Beta version of FF.

The plug-in is still using 50% of my CPU.

Problem doesn't occur in IE9.

I have also installed the following add-ons- Adblock pluss 2.03 Flashblock 1.5.15.1 and enable my "Symantec Intrusion Prevention 10.1.1.8".

After enabling these add ons there was and increase in FireFox CPU ussage. This seems to spike off and on depending on my surfing activities.

Tags (2)
15 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Firefox + plug-in container taking 100% of cpu.

Site Moderator

It may be interesting to see how you go on without AdBlock enabled, or even with it uninstalled. IIRC someone posted to say the latest adblock version may sometimes be implicated in Firefox12 problems.

New User

Removed all plug-in's, even Symantec! No Change.

New User

Did the "Review and follow Troubleshooting plugins, see if that helps."

Couldn't get video to even play, reinstalled FF 12, same problems.

I disabled the plug-in and FF grabed the extra CPU and sucked it all up.

At this point I believe the solution is to make IE my default browser and fall back on FF when IE won't work.

As this solution doesn't fit well with me either; I will try a fresh Windows install later and see if I can locate the problem by trial and error.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Signed, IhateIE but I.E. it works!

Site Moderator

DoingItRight,

Sorry you are still having problems.Lets explore some other possibilities.

I disabled the plug-in and FF grabed the extra CPU and sucked it all up. 
  • Are you referring to the ad-block plugin, if so that my confirm comments that the latest version can be problematic with Firefox 12. You could also try the previous version to see if that works better.
    • I wonder if others note any similar problem
I upgraded from XP to Windows 7, and installed a new video card. 
  • If it is an old machine maybe you re sometimes reaching its performance limits or having problems after the video card update. You comment on going from 100% CPU to 50% CPU usage, maybe that is a reasonable expectation.
  • have a look at Flash Plugin - Keep it up to date and troubleshoot problems
    • in particular try experimenting with with hardware acceleration turned off in Flash Players settings. (That may not be expected to help with a new video card, but if it does it highlights a problem area a possibly the video card)
  • you mention
    IhateIE but I.E. it works!
    • is IE coping with the same FlashPlayer videos and a indicating much lower CPU usage
SUMO Contributor

Try Disabling Plugin-container and check it again.

see also : Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware

thank you

New User

Sorry I wasn't clear in my post, "I disabled the plug-in and FF grabed the extra CPU and sucked it all up."

- I was refering to the "plugin-container.exe" which the second poster suggested.

This seemed to help on the front end but, as another poster noted, the CPU would continue to grow until I would have to recycle FF.

While IE is also a resource hog it will at least play the video and audio without skipping.

I am coming to the conclusion that the problem is with Windows 7 32bit 3GB of RAM.

1. while on XP it wasn't uncommon for the cpu to run at 100% but I never experienced the video and audio skipping. 2. I only have 2 processors.

I have run malwarebytes scans, didn't find anything. I also use CCleaner on a daily basis and browse in private no matter which Browser I use.

A couple of ideas just came to mind, let me try those and get back with you.

thanks again.

New User

Believe I located the culprit, "Spybot S&D". After removing and rebooting It appears that my system is now back to the previous state of hovering below 100% (which is acceptable considering my limited resources), but I was able to kick-off three videos and listen to to all of them at the same time.

I had Spybot installed before my upgrade, with the Tea-Timer excluded from the install and only using the IE protection, just as now.

I still have several tests before I am going to close this case but maybe this can help someone else.

New User

I have a similar problem, though I'm pretty sure it isn't cpu performance or memory related. Core i7-980, 24GB of ram. Video stalls in Firefox 12, plays great in Chrome or IE. Haven't tried opera. Windows 7 professional 64.