cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox opens two icons in dock when I launch it. Why?

Highlighted
Grand Master Contributor

Firefox opens two icons in dock when I launch it. Why?

Whenever I launch Firefox 4, two Firefox icons appear in my dock. Why does this happen and how can I have just one icon launch? I'm using a Mac.

This happened

Every time Firefox opened

== I installed Firefox 4 on my iMac

52 REPLIES
Grand Master Contributor

Re: Firefox opens two icons in dock when I launch it. Why?

Anyone else have this issue? When I launch Firefox 4, two Firefox icons open in the dock. When I close one, they both close.

I guess I'll go back to 3.6. until issue is solved.

Grand Master Contributor

Same here... 2 icons... 10.6.4 here

Grand Master Contributor

same here on osx 10.6.4 and FF 4.0b1

Grand Master Contributor

The second one must be for Flash (at least in some cases) because when I close the second one, Firefox reports that flash has crashed. Seems like it's due to separating the processes within Firefox, but is another icon really necessary?

Grand Master Contributor

I think it has something to do with Flash also. I had the same thing happen. When I closed one of the icons, some websites said that Flash was not working anymore.

Also, I noticed that when I click one of the icons the toolbar on the top does not display "file-edit-view-history-etc", it just says "Firefox" in the upper left.

Using OS 10.6

Grand Master Contributor

Same Problem here I get 2 icons in my dock when I open a page that has Flash Content. If I open full html5 websites like apple.com or me.com the second icon doesn't until you open a site with flash content.

Grand Master Contributor

It doesn't seem to affect performance. It's just annoying to have the two icons load.

Hope it's fixed by Beta 2.

Grand Master Contributor

Same issue here.

Grand Master Contributor

Have the same problem and certainly seems to be (as others have said) related to flash content and thus the new plugin-protection system. The second icon is quite annoying (especially when switching back to Firefox and clicking the wrong one) and I hope it's fixed soon.