Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox keeps 'Not Responding' when I try to load something

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Firefox keeps 'Not Responding' when I try to load something

When I close and open Firefox again when I go to a website and for example I go to click on a picture, it doesn't crash but it doesn't respond and after about 30 seconds it works, this happens a lot now and I have reset my firefox but still it keeps doing this and it is quite annoying. After sometime it seems to settle in and it works, but I would rather this not happen because this has never happened before.

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: Firefox keeps 'Not Responding' when I try to load something

NOTE this chosen solution may not work for everyone, this may not be a fx 16 problem
comment by a forum moderator -J99

It seems to be something unique to 16.0.1.

I tried all the usual things, rebooting, uninstalling and downloading 16.0.1 and even resetting Firefox to its defaults, but all to no avail.  It just kept freezing and saying 'Not Responding' for about 30 seconds, happening so often as to make the browser effectively unusable.

Finally, I uninstalled 16.0.1 and replaced it with beta 17.0

That's done the trick, and now it's working absolutely fine.

Seems that there's a bug in 16.0.1 that Mozilla need to fix. Was the update from 16.0. to 16.0.1 rushed out a bit too soon?

18 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Use "Firefox/File > Exit" (Mac: "Firefox > Quit"; Linux: "File > Quit") to close Firefox if you are currently doing that by clicking the close X on the title bar.

See also:

You can check for problems with the places.sqlite database file in the Firefox Profile Folder.

Support Forum Moderator

Try updating your AVG safe search software that may help. Or try disabling it entirely as Firefox itself provides some degree of protection from phishing and attack sites:

Disabling AVG safe search does not mean you need to disable all other security features.

New Contributor

I had the same problem. It only began after updating to 16.0.1

However, I cleared the Firefox cache and the problem disappeared!

New Contributor

Well, in an update it worked for about 5 minutes but it is doing it again. I have reset my browser and then cleared the cache again but still it keeps doing it.

New Contributor

NOTE this chosen solution may not work for everyone, this may not be a fx 16 problem
comment by a forum moderator -J99

It seems to be something unique to 16.0.1.

I tried all the usual things, rebooting, uninstalling and downloading 16.0.1 and even resetting Firefox to its defaults, but all to no avail.  It just kept freezing and saying 'Not Responding' for about 30 seconds, happening so often as to make the browser effectively unusable.

Finally, I uninstalled 16.0.1 and replaced it with beta 17.0

That's done the trick, and now it's working absolutely fine.

Seems that there's a bug in 16.0.1 that Mozilla need to fix. Was the update from 16.0. to 16.0.1 rushed out a bit too soon?

New Contributor

That has worked now, I installed it and tested with everything I normally do and where it normally did it's not responding thing, it doesn't anymore. So the 17.0 version is the better option

New Contributor

Mozilla seem to be losing the plot. In the past, people expected Microsoft to release software which contained security problems and then re-release it, only for it not to work properly. Now it appears Mozilla is taking over that role! And the solution to this? Install a Beta version, a version still under development!

I suspect that the very great majority of software users look for stability, for a program which works well and meets their immediate needs and which will continue to do so for some time - certainly months rather than, as it appears, days, before a new, "improved" version is developed. Maybe Mozilla should think along these lines; meanhwile, I'm going back to the latest 15 release.

New Contributor

I thought clearing the cache had solved the problem - but it hadn't. If Mozilla wants its users to move to other browsers in droves, this is the way to do it.

Is there a way to download earlier versions of Firefox?

In the meantime I've downloaded the Firefox 17.0 beta. If that doesn't work I will switch to another browser.

New Contributor

Yes, go here:

edit inapropriate link removed, please use official links

I've re-installed release 15.0.1 and found things fine. (When I first ran Firefox after re-installing, I was warned that it was out-of-date.) The large video file I had tried to upload without success under 16, uploaded quickly and with no problems.

Since re-installing version15.0.1, Firefox has automatically downloaded an 8.5mb update which will be installed when I next restart Firefox. I hope this is only an update to 15.0.1 and not 16.