cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox is not Installing/Uninstalling/Disabling/Enabling any addon, while there is a constant message to restart firefox?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Firefox is not Installing/Uninstalling/Disabling/Enabling any addon, while there is a constant message to restart firefox?

I am getting the message to restart firefox under Tools, Addons. With that all the extensions below display that they're going to be uninstalled when firefox will be restarted. Though they never get so.

I tried installing flashgot meanwhile it won't get installed, it just magically disappears after i restart Firefox.

Xmarks won't get enabled. Free Download Manager's addon won't disable.

I double checked if firefox was closing properly, it does closes properly. I tried Safe mode, all options ticked. Deleted my profile for the sake to bring back health to Firefox. I even downloaded Firefox 4, but none of it worked.

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Forum Moderator

Re: Firefox is not Installing/Uninstalling/Disabling/Enabling any addon, while there is a constant message to restart firefox?

A likely cause for this is one of the files that stores details of installed add-ons has become corrupt. You can delete those files and Firefox will re-create them.

First go to your profile folder using the method shown in the Profiles - Where Firefox stores your bookmarks, passwords and other user data article. Then close Firefox and delete extensions.cache, extensions.ini, extensions.rdf, compatibility.ini and if it exists extensions.sqlite. Now re-start Firefox and see if it lets you add or remove extensions.

22 REPLIES
Support Forum Moderator

Re: Firefox is not Installing/Uninstalling/Disabling/Enabling any addon, while there is a constant message to restart firefox?

A likely cause for this is one of the files that stores details of installed add-ons has become corrupt. You can delete those files and Firefox will re-create them.

First go to your profile folder using the method shown in the Profiles - Where Firefox stores your bookmarks, passwords and other user data article. Then close Firefox and delete extensions.cache, extensions.ini, extensions.rdf, compatibility.ini and if it exists extensions.sqlite. Now re-start Firefox and see if it lets you add or remove extensions.

Site Moderator

You are using Firefox 3.6.9.
That version hasn't been officially released yet.
See https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases/Firefox_3.6.9

Where did you get that version?

Shooting Star Contributor

Build 1 of 3.6.9-candidate is available in the nightly folder on the ftp server. In addition, it's several places in a Google search:

• rapidshare and megaupload -- who knows what you are really getting there
  • a few sites have a link to the nightly ftp folder
New Contributor

I was appalled by firefox crashing continuously because of flash, so i opted for the Beta version which at that time was only firefox download that considered flash as a different process. I see the feature has been added to stable releases now, but everything was working fine so i didn't care to get back to the stable release.

To Helper7677, I guess it would not be right for me to go for nightly builds at this point of time.

New Contributor

Thank you a lot TonyE. It solved my problem. Evrything's working smooth now.

New Contributor

I did this. Deleting extensions...etc... Restarting firefox. Nothing happened. Firefox does not respond at all.

New Contributor

I'm having the same issue -- I cannot install, delete, disable or upgrade any add-ons. The Restart Firefox procedure is not working at all. After a Restart, the Add-Ons section states, "Restart Firefox to complete your changes."

I've tried renaming and deleting the extensions.cache, extensions.ini, extensions.rdf, compatibility.ini and extensions.sqlite files, and Firefox recreates those files when I log back in with the same issue present. I've also checked Task Manager to make sure Firefox is completely shut down, which it would have to be to rename or delete the above extentions. Starting Firefox in Safe Mode also doesn't solve the problem.

Short of creating a whole new Profile, which would be a major pain, I'm at a loss as to what to try next. I'm currently using Firefox 3.6.10, which I downloaded with the use of the "Check for Updates" button, and I'm running Win XP.

As at least 20 other people are having the same issue, I hope that someone can find a solution sometime soon.

Thanks.

New Contributor

BTW, this thread is labeled as "Solved". While it may have helped at least one person, there are a few of us that have tried all the suggestions above and are still having the same issue.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

New Contributor

This is for those of you who tried the suggestions above and still have add-on issues.

Eureka! I have found the culprit! After using MR Tech Toolkit to disable all of my add-ons, Java Console showed a large red ! next to it, stating it was incompatible with Firefox 3.6.10. This red exclamation point was NOT showing up before. I slowly re-enabled each add-on and retested for functionality until Java was the only add-on not enabled. With Java disabled, I was able to uninstall the Console, then went to Java's site and downloaded the most recent version, jre-6u21-windows-i586-s.

Java is back and my add-ons now work. Hope this helps someone else.