Firefox is my default browser. It always opened links from email in Firefox. Now, suddenly, when I click on a link in email, it no longer opens. If I make Chrome default, it will open in that browser. I've tried switching back a couple of times after reboot, but links no longer open in firefox. I don't know what happened to change it.
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information.
Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
I tried resetting Firefox already and then tried to see if a link from email would open in Firefox, but they still don't open. I switched back to chrome and they open. Switch back to Firefox as default and they don't open.
Resetting didn't fix the problem.
The symptoms sound like Firefox thinks its the default browser, but it actually isn't. Try setting IE as the default browser then reboot your pc, verify that works with Thunderbird, and then reset Firefox as the default browser and reboot again your pc. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser
I don't use IE. I have done that with Chrome. I set Chrome as my default browser and have rebooted and links open in Chrome. Then I set it back to Firefox and it doesn't work.
I also used the force Firefox to make itself default instructions and that didn't work either. I guess I'm stuck with Chrome as my default.
When I right click a link in email I don't get that option. I'm using Incredimail in case that makes a difference.
My personally advise is to download thunderbird and use it for your email .... the onely negative is their is no way to copy anything from Incredimail to another software ...
i found this thread,maybe solve the problem
To make Firefox use Incredimail for mailto links, do the following.
1. find the path to Incredimail on my Windows 7 machine it's: "C:\Program Files (x86)\IncrediMail\Bin\IncMail.exe" (you can find this by right clicking on the desktop Incredimail Icon and selecting Properties. Copy this address))
2. Type about:config into your Firefox location bar and hit enter. If you've never edited used about:config before, you'll see a warning.
3. Click "I'll be careful, I promise!" This will bring you to the about:config window.
4. In the filter field type "gecko". Find the entry gecko.handlerService.schemes.mailto.0.name;
5. Right click and select Modify.
6. Paste or type the Incredimail path in the field provided "C:\Program Files (x86)\IncrediMail\Bin\IncMail.exe" (the qoutes are required)
7. Make sure that network.protocol-handler.external.mailto; is set to true.
If you use an external password manager, a problem has been noted with some versions where there is either a very long delay in opening an external link or it never opens at all. Threads on that: