cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox freezes with Flash player or HTML 5 when watching videos on Youtube

Highlighted
New User

Firefox freezes with Flash player or HTML 5 when watching videos on Youtube

Hello everyone, This is driving me crazy! I've been trying to fix this a couple of times but no luck.

I'm trying to watch youtube videos on firefox and so whenever i try to enable flash player it just freezes my firefox...

I've uninstalled flash, installed latest/oldest, uninstalled firefox, restarted my comp, deleted the directory, disabled hardware acceleration, cleared cache and no luck...

When I use html 5 it doesn't freeze though I don't want to use it because it doesn't have 240p quality option.

Sometimes when flash player is enabled it doesn't freeze instantly only when i enable html5, play a video, close it then enable flash player addon then load the video which doesn't freeze until 3 mintues then freezes completely.

Ideas? Thank you.

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES
Regular User

Re: Firefox freezes with Flash player or HTML 5 when watching videos on Youtube

Recent crashes of certain multimedia contents (this includes Youtube videos, certain flash games and other applications) in conjunction with Firefox are most probably caused by a recent Flash 11.3 update and/or a malfunctioning Real Player browser plugin.

In order to remedy the problem, please perform the steps mentioned in these Knowledge Base articles:

Flash Plugin - Keep it up to date and troubleshoot problems

Adobe Flash plugin has crashed - Prevent it from happening again

Flash 11.3 doesn't load video in Firefox

Other, more technical information about these issues can be found under these Links:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1018071?tstart=0

http://blogs.adobe.com/asset/2012/06/inside-flash-player-protected-mode-for-firefox.html

Please tell us if this helped!

Site Moderator

Try to boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that helps.

New User

yalam96 , I've tried these and it doesn't work... And i'm telling you it doesn't happen with only the latest flash.. I also tried downgrading and this happen so don't give me tutorials about flash 11.5....

cor-el, I don't get how that's supposed to help me? I don't want to use my pc on Safe mode with networking and besides my connection doesn't work on that mode.

I really need helpful answers and i'm very tired of trying.

Thanks.

New User

I had the same problems. My solution was to ditch FF 17 and downgrade to FF 16. I don't have any issues with 16, but I have little faith this will be fixed soon since I tried FF 18 beta, and it crashes all the time too. I may start using Chrome if FF doesn't become stable again.

New User

I downgraded all the way to Firefox 2 and it still freezes... I even tried the latest Firefox 18 beta and same thing ; (

New User

It seems that what could have caused it is that I always manually hit the power off switch instead of [ start > -- > Shutdown ] which might have corrupted files or probably didn't install flash correctly.

After I uninstalled - [ start - shutdown ] installed Firefox/Flash and again [ start - shutdown ] it seems that it loads longer then freezes.

I guess switching it off from the power button manually was a habit which no longer will persist.

New User

Have any of you tried activating the task manager and seeing if something is using most of your computer resources. Firefox's plugin-container.exe is pulling 99% of the CPU resources when this happens to me. Mozilla has not acknowledged this as a problem yet though it appears to have been going on for some time. Chrome plays the suspect videos fine.

Site Moderator

You can do a check for problems with current Flash plugin versions and try these:

• disable protected mode in the Flash plugin (Flash 11.3+ on Windows Vista and later)
  • disable hardware acceleration in the Flash plugin
  • disable a possible RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin extension for Firefox and update the RealPlayer if installed
New User

cor-el, I believe that I have tried all of that. and the RealPlayer level is 16.01+. Can you or someone at firefox reproduce the problem with the link included? Thanks

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/wp/2013/05/10/the-ways-of-silicon-valley/?wpisrc=nl_...