cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox freezes with Flash addon enabled; doesn't freeze with Flash addon disabled.

Highlighted
New User

Firefox freezes with Flash addon enabled; doesn't freeze with Flash addon disabled.

Running Windows 8, Firefox 18.0.1, plugin Shockwave Flash 11.5.502.146 (current version, according to Firefox plugin check).

Firefox freezes every time when loading a page with Flash content when the Flash plugin is enabled. Firefox does not freeze when the Flash plugin is disabled. Repeatable, tested and confirmed multiple times - freezes consistently with Flash plugin enabled, loads pages perfectly when Flash plugin is disabled (though without Flash content).

When in this frozen state, Firefox is completely unresponsive - displays a blank page, can't type anything, can't click on or move/minimize the window. Must be force-quit via task manager.

Other browsers (e.g. Chrome) do not have this issue with Flash. Have noticed several similar problems reported with Firefox and Flash, but the only solution I have seen offered is to downgrade Flash (and introduce potential security issues). Surely there must be a better option? This is a massive issue for me - Firefox is my preferred browser but I cannot use it while it has this allergic reaction to the Flash plugin.

20 REPLIES

Re: Firefox freezes with Flash addon enabled; doesn't freeze with Flash addon disabled.

Problem wit Flash 11, please downgrade to flash 10.3

New User

Re: Firefox freezes with Flash addon enabled; doesn't freeze with Flash addon disabled.

How do you downgrade the plugin? I can uninstall Flash 11 and install Flash 10.3, but the plugin is missing at that point. When I click to install the plugin, the only option is Flash 11.6.

Remove the flash and instal the flash 10.3

New User

Let me restate my last post - Uninstall Flash 11 - Install Flash 10.3 - The plugin is missing from Firefox - When I click to install the plugin, the only option is Flash 11.6.

New User

Note that I did say:

"...the only solution I have seen offered is to downgrade Flash (and introduce potential security issues). Surely there must be a better option?"

I do not want to downgrade Flash. I would sooner use another browser than introduce potential security issues by downgrading a plugin.

I repeat - is there any way to fix this without downgrading Flash? Surely there must be an alternative! Why does Firefox have this fatal compatibility issue with Flash while other browsers do not?

New User

This issue is interesting. I have 1 PC where Firefox does not hangs, another PC where Firefox hangs. Both PCs have the same version of Firefox and Flash.

On the problem PC I have tried disabling every plugin except Flash and it still hangs. Only disabling Flash resolves the issue.

Hey Mozilla, any input from your developers would be appreciated.

New User

Thank you iamjayakumars. The file you attached installed Flash 10.3 along with the Netscape plugin.

Apparently the download I used on the Adobe site only installed Flash 10.3, but not the Netscape plugin.

Problem resolved

Site Moderator

hello Chameleon89, maybe it's an issue with the protected mode in the flash plugin. which security related programs are running on your system? please make sure that they aren't blocking/sandboxing/filtering traffic by firefox.exe, plugin-container.exe or flashplayerplugin*.exe in any way - you could also try if disabling protected mode makes a difference.