Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox freezes when loading sites and opening tabs

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Firefox freezes when loading sites and opening tabs

My Firefox often freezes when I'm trying to open a site in one tab or several. The freezing lasts for a couple of seconds but its really frustrating.

The version is the latest stable (3.6.13) I've tried re-installing the browser, but the broblem persists.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Firefox freezes when loading sites and opening tabs

Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode to check if one of the add-ons is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Tools > Add-ons > Themes).

• Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.

See:

If it does work in Safe-mode then disable all extensions and then try to find which is causing it by enabling one at a time until the problem reappears.

• Use "Disable all add-ons" on the Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode start window to disable all extensions.
  • Close and restart Firefox after each change via "File > Exit" (Mac: "Firefox > Quit"; Linux: "File > Quit")
40 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode to check if one of the add-ons is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Tools > Add-ons > Themes).

• Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.

See:

If it does work in Safe-mode then disable all extensions and then try to find which is causing it by enabling one at a time until the problem reappears.

• Use "Disable all add-ons" on the Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode start window to disable all extensions.
  • Close and restart Firefox after each change via "File > Exit" (Mac: "Firefox > Quit"; Linux: "File > Quit")
New Contributor

OK. The broblem seemed to be in the F-Secure Browser Security add-on. When I disabled it, the browser stopped freezing on every page.

Looks like firefox has some compatibility issues with F-Secure software.

New Contributor

well I don't use F-secure [whatever that is] but am experiencing intermittent freezing of FF pages which affects closing the page through the top right hand x, or through the bottom toolbar right-click/close so have to close through task manager all my add-ons are updated etc, and cache is cleared regularly and java is updated etc

New Contributor

I have started Firefox in safe mode and it still does it. Its always the same. Not long after Firefox 3.6 starts it will freeze while I try to do something. This lasts up to a minute.

New Contributor

I have had this problem for a number of versions of Firefox now, going back probably two years. I've removed all add-ins, reinstalled Firefox, upgraded, downgraded, installed Windows updates, and replaced my PC and OS (now running Windows 7) and the problem still happens. I also note that in my case the freeze affects the entire PC not just Firefox, but if I check the Windows task manager the CPU utilisation is down at 5-15%, not 100% as I would have expected. I interpret this as implying that Firefox is holding some OS resources other than CPU that prevents other applications from running smoothly.

New Contributor

This is the problem I'm having. I just recently got a new laptop with Windows 7 and I'm constantly having my whole computer freeze up while Firefox is being used. Sometimes to the point of having to manually power down my laptop. I've never had these problems with my old laptop and Windows Vista. If it keeps up I guess I'll go to IE or try another browser which is a shame because I really like Firefox.

New Contributor

didnt help for me either. ffx updated and immediately thereafter, it locks whenever I try to open a new tab, safe mode or not.

New Contributor

OK. Win 7 64bit. Firefox ver 3.6.13 When loading pages, clicking anywhere on page or trying to scroll, even after page has rendered, causes FF to grey-out, for up to 30 seconds.

To test sans addons etc, I loaded a new session of FF with no extensions or addons, with same result. Loading same sites/pages in Chrome or IE does not cause a freeze.

Watching the status bar in FF, it always freezing while waiting for external urls to load, such as static.facebook, or api.twitter or google.syndication, quantcast and the list goes on...

Again, Chrome & IE don't have this issue.

New Contributor

I am having similar problems. Open a site in a new tab and firefox locks up. Can't minimize, can't use the currently open tab.

I can alt-tab and use other programs. Ran a tracert while this was happening and I don't see any connections issues.

Can run IE and load the exact same page at the same time and IE doesn't get hung up and just sit there with a progress indicator.