cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox doesn't work with Windows 8

Highlighted
New Contributor

Firefox doesn't work with Windows 8

I installed Windows 8 a couple of weeks ago and then downloaded Firefox. I've had problems getting pages to render properly, slow speed etc. IE10 seems to work fine. What's the issue?

4 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Firefox doesn't work with Windows 8

Try to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox.

A possible cause is security software (firewall,anti-virus) that blocks or restricts Firefox or the plugin-container process without informing you, possibly after detecting changes (update) to the Firefox program.

Remove all rules for Firefox and the plugin-container from the permissions list in the firewall and let your firewall ask again for permission to get full unrestricted access to internet for Firefox and the plugin-container process and the updater process.

See:

New Contributor

Interesting that security software is the problem. I had the same security software for the past 4 years with earlier versions of Firefox and it never caused a problem. I find it odd that now all of a sudden it's a problem. Sorry, but I don't buy it.

New Contributor

Neither the disabling of hardware acceleration or resetting of security worked. It simply takes too much time to load pages not related to what I've requested. I ask for my email and it loads a background page on sports, etc.

New Contributor

Found the answer in another part of the forums. Uninstall Firefox, but leave your personal information (bookmarks, etc.) Reinstall Firefox. That worked for me!