cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox crashes or hangs in Windows 8

Highlighted
New Contributor

Firefox crashes or hangs in Windows 8

I've recently been lucky to get my hands on Windows 8 from my college (full Windows 8 Professional, not the 90 day trail.) and installed Firefox. Boy was it a mess, I know Windows 8 has yet to be released officially to the public but Firefox will crash and hang and just be all around terrible to use. I've tried Google Chrome and have had none of these problems with it, same as IE (I know IE sucks but just adding it to my trail list). I know flash is integrated into both of those browsers but could that be the problem that Firefox is having when it comes to Windows 8? Anyways my main reason for posting this is to let those who work with Firefox that there is a compatibility problem with it right now.

Tags (2)
26 REPLIES
Legendary Contributor

Re: Firefox crashes or hangs in Windows 8

Were you running the released version of Firefox (Firefox 16) or the early release of Firefox specifically designed for the Metro UI?

Were the problems specifically on sites that use Flash, or on other sites as well?

Information posted here doesn't always reach anyone on the dev or test side. You can submit feedback to developers here:

Help > Submit Feedback

There may also be a Windows 8 specific list, newsgroup, or forum. I'm not an early adopter of new operating systems and have not been following it.

New Contributor

I should have gone into more detail and I apologize, it happens more often then not on flash enabled websites such as YouTube, and also on basic websites such as Google or Facebook. I am running Firefox 16.0.1.

Legendary Contributor

I suggest trying the standard Flash guidance for Windows 7/Vista, on the theory that the plugin behaves similarly on Windows 8.

(1) Disable protected mode (Win Vista & Win 7)

See this support article from Adobe under the heading "Last Resort": Adobe Forums: How do I troubleshoot Flash Player's protected mode for Firefox?

(2) Disable hardware graphics acceleration in Firefox and in Flash

(A) In Firefox, un-check the box here and restart:

orange Firefox button or classic Tools menu > Options > Advanced > General > "Use hardware acceleration when available"

(B) In Flash, see this support article from Adobe: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/video-playback-issues.html#main_Solve_video_playback_issues

(3) For video issues, make sure your RealNetworks add-ons are the latest versions

(4) For display artifacts while scrolling, disable Smooth Scrolling here:

orange Firefox button or classic Tools menu > Options > Advanced > General > "Use smooth scrolling"

New Contributor

I have the 'Firefox slow and sometimes crashes' on my main desktop computer that has windows 8 Pro on it (Upgraded from Windows 7 Pro) However I have done the same upgrade on my Asus Ultrabook and Firefox works fine! The only difference between the two computers is the main one is high spec for video editing etc. with loads of programs (but Firefox was working well before the upgrade) and the Ultrabook is the slower machine!!! Both are 64 bit . The main is i7 and the Ultra is i5 . I would expect the Ultrabook to be the slower one if any........ I have now uninstalled Firefox program and will try a reinstall. I was worried that I may have had a virus as a card account was attacked, but this does not seem the case....

New Contributor

Well I sorted my problems with Firefox being slow with windows 8 !!! I uninstalled Firefox but left bookmarks etc. as in the uninstal dialogue and downloaded and reinstalled. It now seems instant! Hope this helps others with the problem....

New Contributor

I am on firefox 19 and having this problem. It started out on facebook and you tube... now it doesn't matter what site I'm on it will crash at random.

Legendary Contributor

Hi rit1234, when Firefox crashes, it stores information about the crash. If you type or paste about:crashes into the URL bar and press Enter you should get some links corresponding to your most recent crashes. If you click the links you can learn whether your crash data was uploaded and view the technical details. Some of the volunteers here are good at reading those details, so if you can post some of the recent crash IDs in a reply that might be helpful.

New Contributor

Thanks! In trying to fix the problem I was reading the FAQ's on possible fixes. One was to uninstall and reinstall Firefox. Well it uninstalled fine but Windows 8 or Internet explorer or who knows what will not let Firefox download again! Right now I'm at a loss on how to get it back much less working! I'm replying to this via IE 10.

Legendary Contributor

Hi rit1234, what error do you get when trying to download Firefox?

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/#desktop

Sometimes malware will block downloads of alternate browsers, so you may want to run some supplemental scans. These two tools are highly regarded:

Malwarebytes Anti-malware : http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

SUPERAntiSpyware : http://www.superantispyware.com/