cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox browser constantly lagging and not responding

Highlighted
New User

Firefox browser constantly lagging and not responding

It does it on any site I visit. I have tried clearing my cashe and cookies. It has gotten to the point I can't do anything becasue it stops responding. This started when I had version 3.5 and has continued since I upgraded to the newst version. It is only Firefox and not my other browsers so I don't see how it is my computer. Anything I can do to make it stop and work properly?

The reason mine was doing it was becasue of the add-ons. I deleted them all and only reinstalled AdBlock Plus, no script, request policy, and the video downloader. I have not had a problem since. It was either Mr Tech Toolkit or the personas. :(

101 REPLIES
New User

Re: Firefox browser constantly lagging and not responding

Wow 28 people and no one as a solution.  :(

Site Moderator

Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode to check if one of your add-ons is causing your problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Tools > Add-ons > Themes).

• Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.

See Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems and Troubleshoot issues with plugins like Flash or Java to fix common Firefox problems

Also make sure that Firefox and the plugin-container process have full, unrestricted, access to internet.

New User

I did restart in safe mode, myself. I cleared all the cookies and the browsing history, I took out all the bookmarks (after printing them out) and that didn't help. I've had Windows 7 for about 6 months, now. There weren't any problems at all until just recently. It started with Firefox lagging, hanging and becoming just generally unresponsive. Then, even after switching to other browsers, which are driving me insane, windows explorer began restarting constantly. There was no stopping it. I let the compy run a diagnostic on the memory...no probs. I ran a few deep virus scans...no probs. I restarted in safe mode, still had the prob. When I removed all the start up programs, save for the essentials, everything worked great. This meant it's a 3rd party problem...but figuring out which one was a pain. At a person's suggestion, I deleted everything that had to do with Firefox and my problem completely resolved. Problem is...I want Firefox BACK!!! I'm going crazy with these other, inadequate browsers. My general point here is, everything was working great until a few weeks ago...the only difference I can think of is updates! If anyone else had any ideas, please, let me know. I started a thread on this and a couple of people have reported the same problem, but there aren't any solutions or ideas as of yet.

New User

New User

This was driving me to use another computer not suffering the same hangups. So when bored I'd read posts and play with possible solutions.

I ended up going to Firefox, opening Tools -- Addons -- Extensions and disabling groups of Extensions for a test.

What worked for me was disabling all the older version Java Consoles except the latest one I had loaded which was 6.0.22.

Miracles happen, so far 2 days of speedy Firefox again. Sometimes it's just a crap shoot and you get lucky. Of course no guarantee it'll work for you too, there never is, but it was an easy enough thing to try.

Good Luck!

New User

THANKYOU! This worked for me. What a RELIEF! I was really frustrated. Well done Comet1. Karma points coming your way.

New User

That solution was shortlived. Initially it seemed faster and problem-free but within 15 minutes, same problem - not responding, but this time my computer crashed. Back to the drawing board.

New User

of all the things i've tried, this was awesome! thanks, man. so far so good!

New User

I am finding that implementing the solution at this page is helping so far: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox%20hangs#w_hang-after-prolonged-use

In Preferences > General > Main

In the "When Firefox starts" drop-down, select "Show my windows and tabs from last time"

Then from time to time, I shut down Firefox completely, and let it rest for a bit before I open it again.

I've been doing that for a couple of days now, and so far, so good.

I did clear the cache, and uninstall some tools I wasn't using, but that didn't seem to help any. It was only when I followed the suggestion I've just described that the system started to settle down.