cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox Updated and As Usual is Screwed up, Not restoring tabs.

Highlighted
New User

Firefox Updated and As Usual is Screwed up, Not restoring tabs.

My Firefox just updated and aside from breaking my themes, it now refuses to restore my tabs! I have gone through the options 10 times now and each time I tell it to start with my old tabs it resets to home page............Every time Firefox updates it breaks, I am writing this from Chrome, which at least maintains some continuity.

I was able to grab my sessionstore files so I still have them, but dammit test your code people! The feature to resume tabs etc after restart is a major and long running one in Firefox, make sure it works!!!!!!!

Anyway sorry but this has frustrated me to no end, any help appreciated.

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Firefox Updated and As Usual is Screwed up, Not restoring tabs.

In case you are using "Clear history when Firefox closes":

• do not clear the "Browsing History"

Note that clearing "Site Preferences" clears all exceptions for cookies, images, pop-up windows, software installation, and passwords.

You can check for problems with the sessionstore.js and sessionstore.bak files in the Firefox Profile Folder that store session data.

Delete the sessionstore.js file and possible sessionstore-##.js files with a number and sessionstore.bak in the Firefox Profile Folder.

Deleting sessionstore.js will cause App Tabs and Tab Groups and open and closed (undo) tabs to get lost, so you will have to create them again (make a note or bookmark them).

Which security software (firewall, anti-virus) do you have?

There shouldn't be normally any problems with files in the Firefox Profile Folder, but some security software keeps a lock on files and that may cause erratic behavior in some cases like an update that requires a restart.

New User

Dont have the never remember history set, and it is the issue that Firefox will now not remember to save tabs from last session, it defaults to open to home page.....no matter haw many times I change it.

Site Moderator

Make sure that Firefox closes properly and that there isn't a hanging Firefox or plugin-container process left in the task manager.

Use "Firefox/File > Exit" (Mac: "Firefox > Quit"; Linux: "File > Quit") to close Firefox if you are currently doing that by clicking the close X on the title bar.

See also:

If you do not keep changes after a restart then see:

New User

None of that worked, this is at least the 5th time that I have lost my data to an update, I suppose Ill just continue on............

Site Moderator

Which security software (firewall, anti-virus) do you have?