cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox Tab Height under Windows 8 is double sized.

Highlighted
New User

Firefox Tab Height under Windows 8 is double sized.

The Tab on my browser is double sized under Windows 8. I have already searched the forums for a solution and none worked.

Already tried: 1. Safe mode 2. Create new Profile 3. Reinstalled with NO extensions 4. Cleaned out everything entry in appdata/programdata/registry

After everything double sized tab persists.

So I am led to believe that this is some new setting for Firefox where it detects an unknown 'Tablet' mode and sets the default theme as having double sized tabs. -- And just FYI -- I am NOT using a touchscreen. So whatever it is detecting, it is faulty. If you are going to put this in as an option, please add an option to DISABLE it.

When I change to another theme, such as Mx3, it does fix the double sized.

24 REPLIES

Re: Firefox Tab Height under Windows 8 is double sized.

Sorry, i'm linux user, please provide the snapshot of that.

New User

Am experiencing same problem on Win 8 latoptop (non-touch), both with installed version of FF (16.0.2) and the PortableApps version. Went through everything the OP did and nothing worked.

Screen shot: http://twitter.yfrog.com/h8qixwp

Support Forum Moderator

Try the Firefox SafeMode to see how it works there.
A troubleshooting mode, which disables most Add-ons.
Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Firefox SafeMode

When in Safe Mode...

• The status of plug-ins is not affected.
  • Custom preferences are not affected.
  • All extensions are disabled.
  • The default theme is used, without a persona.
  • userChrome.css and userContent.css are ignored.
  • The default toolbar layout is used.
  • The JIT Javascript compiler is disabled.
  • Hardware acceleration is disabled.

• You can open the Firefox 15.0+ SafeMode by holding the Shft key when you use the Firefox desktop or Start menu shortcut.
  • Or use the Help menu item, click on Restart with Add-ons Disabled... while Firefox is running.

To exit the Firefox Safe Mode, just close Firefox and wait a few seconds before using the Firefox shortcut (without the Shft key) to open it again.

If it is good in the Firefox SafeMode, your problem is probably caused by an extension, and you need to figure out which one.
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/troubleshooting+extensions+and+themes

When you figure out what is causing that, please let us know. It might help other user's who have that problem.

New User

Thanks for the stock response @the-edmister but I have to ask, did you actually read any of the posts?

New User

I also tried modifying userChrome.css for height -- to no avail.

RE: Safe mode did not work, here is a screenshot.

Screenshot

Site Moderator

Does it have any effect if you disable the favicons as a test?

Try to set these prefs to false on the about:config page.

• browser.chrome.favicons
  • browser.chrome.site_icons
New User

To solve this problem, go to your profile folder, ex: "C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[RANDOM STRING].default", create the folder "Chrome" and inside create the file "userChrome.css" with this content:

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

.tabbrowser-tabs *|tab {

height:    30px !important;

}

New User

I'm experiencing the same issue. I started with a clean profile; I removed the whole appdata/roaming/mozilla directory. Under windows 8 the tabs are double height and the icons on the tab bar (for example, the open new tab '+' icon) are double width.

I have access to 2 computers with win8 and this issue only occurs on one of them.

I've tried the test with firefox 17.0 and with the latest nightly, and I get the same results (large tabs) only on the one pc.

I also tried zoao's userChrome.css fix. That also didn't work.

setting:

browser.chrome.favicons
   browser.chrome.site_icons 

to false also does not work.

I tried Fdiio's suggestion and changed the theme to Mx3, and that fixed things for me also.

any other suggestions to get this working correctly?

New User

Update, I've tried using another theme 'fxChrome' and the tab height issue doesn't appear. The default theme or with a personas demostrates the issue.

What's strange is that is doesn't appear on every win8 machine.